Cheeky overnighter last friday pic heavyish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Had a cheeky over nighter after work on Friday,
i had already packed pretty much everything during the week, so after filling my water bottles and adding the chorizo to the pack i begged a lift from my dad and headed up to my permission
i have been desperate to get out camping in the snow but the fates and real life have conspired against me
luckily there was still some snow on the ground
P1250070_zpsd46814dc.jpg

Past the wood pile and two Christmas trees i had taken from work and the local church to dispose of
P1250071_zpsa5ca98fc.jpg

a bit of bunny sign
P1250072_zps0b297fc8.jpg

dumped the pack in my selected spot, i moved from my old spot to allow it some recuperation time, i've used this spot three times now once with i camp @butlins and teepee, once with Damian and teepee and now this time, its further in and doesn't attract nosy dog walkers after a bacon butty :)
plus i get to use an Oak tree as part of my ridgeline support which i like.
P1250073_zpsac255cbd.jpg

bit more bunny sign
P1250074_zps6df4ceed.jpg

then i set my tarp up in an Adirondack wind sled pitch
P1250075_zps21689f84.jpg

Got a brew on
P1250076_zps46be8cf7.jpg

Whilst the water boiled i moved the Christmas trees to closer to the new spot
P1250077_zps5ef0329c.jpg

i had planned to sned them all and use the branches as insulation but time got ahead of me and dusk was approaching so i skipped that idea and later in the night constructed a wind block with them.
next plan was get the fire going
P1250078_zps27b5237d.jpg

this didn't go as well as planned, a lot of the material i was using was damper than i anticipated and i will admit i was starting to panic a little, after frantically racking my brains i looked over towards the Christmas trees and had a why didn't i think of that earlier moment,
P1250081_zpsdc7d2675.jpg

well that worked :)
goes to show that you should never expect the fire to light straight away, always have a back up plan especially if it is brass monkey's out and you intend to rely on a fire for warmth/food/water/light.
so billy can boiling some more water for another brew i started on my project- candle stick
P1250084_zps7794b687.jpg

foolishly i forgot to take a photo of the finished item but here is a pic with the candle stick in view
P1250085_zpsce50972b.jpg

the candle provided enough light within the tarp to make it comfy and homely and enough visibility to not need my head torch for the majority of the evening-got through 4 candles mind you
by this point i was getting peckish so time for grub
chorizo and matheson smoked sausage, fried in a bit of suet(cheer for the tip Teepee)
P1250092_zpseb6e02a5.jpg

then added some couscous and boiling water and waited
nom nom nom nom nom
P1250097_zps44dd126f.jpg

decided to make some snowball soup as much to do something as replenish the water stocks
note the water already in crusader cup to prevent burning the bottom out of the mug, the mors pot held quite a bit of compacted snow, a bigger billy can is definitely useful
P1250098_zps5552174c.jpg

having a lid speeds up boil time without loosing so much water through evaporation, i know it was only a short distance away from home but further afield this could of been important,i took the lid off for this shot
P1250099_zps91ad7ed4.jpg

after a while of doing this i had produced about a litre and a half from snow, nice and easy minimal effort, might even share the recipe :)
i rearranged the fire to burn slower
P1250100_zpsd5d57fe7.jpg

then after several more brews i bundled up in my sleeping bag read for a while and listened to the sleet falling against my tarp before turning in for the night
woke briefly at 06:00 decided it was A still dark and B too cold so went back to sleep until around 08:00
this was the remainder of the fire
P1260101_zps03b31fe5.jpg

thats it for photos
made myself a brew or three, had some porridge and got a lift back with my dad again

thanks for coming along
Sam

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Main meal looks really tasty. The soup seems a bit thin for my taste. The addition tea leaves and milk may improve the flavour :)

Glad it was a good time and you had a good sleep. Nice to be out and under a tarp,

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice! I managed to get out on Sat for a cheeky one too, i will definitely be trying that recipe, thanks.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE