Cheaper alternative to the PLSK1 Pathfiner 1 Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Does anyone know if there is something similar to the PLSK1 but not costing $300?

Im looking for something with a full tang, 3/16" - 1/4" thick and 5" - 7" long blade, made of high carbon steel that I can strike with a flint, with a sharp 90 degree spine, and a scandi grand.

I have found a few knives so far that almost meet all the criteria (like the ESEE 5) but hardly any have the scandi grind I'm after.

Thanks

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
There is a guy on BB who makes a knife very similar to th PLSK but i dont know the price

553168_1378612639056468_717444910_n.jpg

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
If you look at my back posts from 29/9/12(i don't know how to get it back up)you will see a knife that should fit what you want, its made by Tlim over on BB.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My appolgies, i miss read your original post & thought you were aftr a knife with a total length of 5"-7".

Lucky Lee's knives do look good, & he's a forum member !.

Rob

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Pretty much a trade knife, and with the round handle... French. Also at DaveC's store http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/replica-18th-century-french-trade-knife/

ESEE 5s come full flat or scandi grind.

That french trade knife would be perfect if only it was thicker! Might get one anyway as it is a really good price.

Also although I did mention the ESEE 5, even with a Scandi grind it is still a bit out of my price range. All I really want for now is a big strong knife, nothing too special/expensive.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
That french trade knife would be perfect if only it was thicker! All I really want for now is a big strong knife, nothing too special/expensive.
Buy an axe then. I have never manage to break any knife blade. An original No 1 Mora serves most of scandinavia pretty well. Are you cutting stuff harder than wood with it? If you are, it is not a knife you need.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Buy an axe then. I have never manage to break any knife blade. An original No 1 Mora serves most of scandinavia pretty well. Are you cutting stuff harder than wood with it? If you are, it is not a knife you need.

I already have an axe! This would be my "backpack fallen into a river, and only have my one knife on me survival situation type knife". I don't plan on letting this happen however, and if it did I would certainly not be putting my knife through any excessive abuse to cause it to break.

So yes, I agree with you, I probably don't NEED a super strong knife, but I would like one anyway! If I did manage to get myself into a survival situation and it was my only tool, I would rather have a stronger knife on me than a weaker one :)

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Esee 6! I've been looking for a knife of that sort of size for about a year now (don't like to rush in to things! Lol) but I keep coming back to the 6.

I don't really see the point of a scandi grind on a hard use knife as it's generally quite a delicate grind being (IIRC) in the region of 20 degrees inclusive. But if you wanted that, I'm sure someone on here could reprofile the knife for you.

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE