cheap stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Here is a tutorial to make a cheap stove out of an old tin.
I find it is suitable for use inside a hexamine stove.
Find an old tin that will fit inside a closed hexi stove.
I used an old air rifle pellet tin but anything will do.
IMGP1566.jpg

IMGP1567.jpg

Fill it with sand. When you come to use the stove, douse the sand with meths, until it just accumulates at the edge when you tip it.

IMGP1568.jpg

You could also try drilling holes in the lid for a more economical design, but I have not tried using this as I ran out of meths :rolleyes: and I've no idea that it will work or not.

IMGP1569.jpg

Sorry about the big pictures :rolleyes:
Thanks for looking. :D

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Weill nice but the sand not as good i tried it. This is how i been doing it. The one on the left is a small shoe polish can with same fiberglass insulation a window screen on that then the cover with a hole in it. The one on the right is a altoids tin insulation in that 6 or 8 holes 1/4 in. no screen slide cover shut it needs to be sealed around the edge on this one. The shoe polish need not be sealed they both fit inside stove and will fold up. On a half oz. alcohol burn time 9 min. 8 min. boil 20. oz. water

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Oh dear, looks like I'll have some research to do tomorrow. ;)
Maybe there is some other stuff that will act as the wick for the meths.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
This is a small version of the way that Allied troops used to brew up in the desert in WW2.

They would use a tin about the size of a biscuit tin 3/4 filled with sand and add petrol until the sand turned almost to a slurry. Lob a match onto it and the petrol burns steadily. Shove another tin full of water / Bully beef stew on top and Bob's your uncle!

Admirably demonstated in the greatest ever WW2 film, "Ice Cold In Alex."

If you haven't seen it yet - GET YOURSELF DOWN THE VIDEO SHOP NOW!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE