Cheap Lightweight Brew Kit (Trangia)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
hey, i use a coleman F1 light weight and a 100 gas bottle.

its very light, packs into a small pouch and the water bottle pocket of my northface bum-bag. it lasts for ages, is controlable and brews quickly. it can also be used to brew up your main scoff, if you need it.

well, thats my penny's worth, hope it helps.

rob

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
R-J said:
hey, i use a coleman F1 light weight and a 100 gas bottle.

its very light, packs into a small pouch and the water bottle pocket of my northface bum-bag. it lasts for ages, is controlable and brews quickly. it can also be used to brew up your main scoff, if you need it.

well, thats my penny's worth, hope it helps.

rob

I used a very similar set up. My 100 gas bottle and stove both fitted inside a titanium mug and lid. Very quick and simple to cook on but this set up takes up less room than the 100 gas canister on its own. Also I always had two gas bottles with me in case the other was about to run out. With this set up I can top up the burner with meths before I go. I liked the gas set up I just wanted something smaller for when I was only taking brew kit. For cooking of any sort I would either take the gas stove or the Clickstand and billy can. Gas is definately quicker but somehow the meths burner feels more bushcraft.

Also I npicked up some mugs today so will PM those who asked.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
yeh, the gaz had an odd feel. its quick, easy and very controlable so it always get a space in my pack, but i prefer having an open fire when ever possible. not that its that often, alas.

i know what you mean, if you could get a home refill thing it would be superb - if a little dangerous... i can judge quite well how much gas is left and if in doubt i take a spare, it does last well though.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Ooh, I do so love a bit of innovation. Only spotted the thread last night, but I went out and got my mug (from Blacks) this morning too. A little disappointed when I got it home, to find that my [font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]12cm [/size][/font][/size][/font]Billy can wouldn't close with it inside. It was little dish type thing or mug but not both.:( Little dish type thing belongs with it so it won.

I did find a Trangia burner unit too but there was something wrong with it and they had no more in stock. Curses, I'll have to order one off the Interweb.

Tuna can lid... No problem the Cats are having their Friday Tuna treat tonight. At least I'll get something out of it myself this time :D

Can't believe we have no wire Coat Hangers in the house. Someone I know must be able to part with one.

Well impressed with the idea, mate. Thanks for sharing :)

Brangdon

Jun 25, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Great article, thanks.

Had you considered the "Nesbit" style rectangular army stoves, eg here? They are what I currently use. Their main advantage is that they burn solid fuel, which I find easier to carry. You don't need a water-tight and air-tight container, or have to worry about meths leaking. Although they don't fit neatly inside a mug, nowadays I usually carry store-bought bottled water and the bottles fit into my mug so the mug-space isn't wasted. Also when the stove is folded the space inside can be used for fuel (and I store a lighter and spoon inside too). They actually come in two sizes but I've only found links to the larger size today.

While looking for a link, I came across this which looks interesting - another attempt to solve the same problem.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I know a lot of the guys ( and gals) use the solid fuel but for me it has the same problems as the "coke can" stoves in that you have to make sure you light enough fuel at the start and if you have too much you have to let it all burn off. I was origianlly not keen on trangia stoves and went for the gas solution. But I have mellowed and now the trangia feals more Bushcrafty.

Anyway, welcome to BCUK. I am sure you will find lots for you here.

Brangdon

Jun 25, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading US forums for a while, and am glad to have found somewhere with a UK bias.

I don't let the solid fuel all burn off. I blow it out, let it cool and then reuse it next time. If it doesn't look like being enough, I add another (half) tablet while the first one burns. It didn't occur to me not to do this - another advantage of solid fuel over meths. I use a small pliers-based multitool as tongs to avoid burning my fingers.

As it happens, I just make coffee in the morning and evening, when there never seems to be any wind. I use the largish rectangular army hex tablets rather than the round ones you get at Millets etc - they pack better and leave less residue. As they are so big I cut them in half before I leave home, and that usually gives about the right amount for a mug of coffee. You can't really simmer with them, but I've found them OK for doing 4-minute noodles.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Brangdon said:
Had you considered the "Nesbit" style rectangular army stoves,

Are they the ones that use Tennents Super for fuel?

Or do you mean "Esbit"?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome on board.

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE