Cheap Knock-Off Chinese Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Yep, I am in no doubt that these are fakes and not actually 'OEM' versions, and that the quality of the product would be inferior to the genuine article. I am also conscious of the ethics of buying a fake a a bit dodgy...and actually I don't think I am seriously considering this.

But, I was wondering whether, comparison with the real thing aside, this would be a decent budget knife in itself? Has anyone got one, and how such copies would stack up against say a Mora in the same price range.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The quality is hit and miss. When I was doing the write up for the Bayley knife article a few of the fakes passed through my hands (still have a couple somewhere) the fittings ranged from awful to OK as did the grinds and overall shape. A huge difference in the quality from knife to knife, and they had a higher price point at a round $80 per knife. They were OK users, but the heat treat specified was a lie, and they don't last long. For $14.99 then you are really going to be getting a useless piece of junk. They lie about the steel used too. Hardly surprising really.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I would far rather buy a Mora than a fake rip-off for a variety of reasons, not least that the Mora will be reliably good quality.

This. I hate fakes- I was well cheesed off when I realised my woodgas was a fake- wouldn't have bought it had I known. It still works great and I use It, but I don't like design copy's or fake stuff at all.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
This. I hate fakes- I was well cheesed off when I realised my woodgas was a fake- wouldn't have bought it had I known. It still works great and I use It, but I don't like design copy's or fake stuff at all.

AFAIK there is no patent on that woodgas stove - it's not a fake. The UK distributor is merely selling them off for a lot more than they cost to make.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Actually I meant to post about fake Bear Grylls/ Gerber knives. A month or so ago I nearly got caught out.

A fellow on another Forum had been doing a sterling trade in marked down Ultimate and Folding Scout knives. He then offered up a BG Gerber multitool which looked great and took standard tool bits. I ordered one but while waiting for payment details googled the manufacturers website. No model like that exists. I then went onto eBay and found plenty of that design cheap from China without the logo.

A quick search found a trading standards warning about Ultimate knock offs.

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/396/Bear-Grylls-Ultimate-Knives.html

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/445/Bear-Grylls-Folding-Scout-Knifes.html

I contacted the site Mods and they knocked the ads on the head.

Obviously I didn't go through with my purchase. I bought a Leatherman off here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
AFAIK there is no patent on that woodgas stove - it's not a fake. The UK distributor is merely selling them off for a lot more than they cost to make.

Ah- I didn't know that. Tbh I just assumed it was a fake. But still- especially on other patented things- I never would buy a fake or knock off. Interesting about the wild stoves though.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Products that are made to deliberately to attempt to deceive people are nasty.

The people that make them don't give a **** about the original maker, and certainly don't give a **** to about a buyer that's been fooled.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Actually been caught out with the bg one and have a fake. Hardly used it tbh so cant comment on its quality

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The Chinese make enough good quality kit to not bother going down the fakes route. With the likes of Sanrenmu, Enlan, Navy and Ganzo making a lot of progress in the industry building high value low price items at consistently decent quality, fakes have become a mugs game. Why bother with an item whose history you can have no confidence in when you can buy off a manufacturer that is working hard to build up its reputation? Sanrenmu and Enlan especially are consistent in quality and are turning a corner when it comes to original designs and build quality.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE