Cheap dry bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
Hi, all
Just noticed that Aldi are doing cheap(?) 40litre drybags at the moment - £5.99 each and available in orange, yellow and blue.
Has anyone else on here bought any of these, and what do you think? I've risked my arm for 2, but I'm not going to get much of a chance to test them for a couple of weeks. I'll report back when I have done so. I'm not optimistic, although they seem to be well made, because they seem so cheap compared to the Baja bags that I last bought back in the mid 90's... Perhaps I'm just an old git, and times have marched on ;)

Og

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When I looked at them last time they did them (last year some time) they seemed fine, but too big for what I needed. I rolled one up and it seemed to use quite a lot of the volume of the bag just to make the seal.

They were plain PVC, quite heavy material but I didn't think they'd be as robust as the Ortlieb bags. I thought if they got pierced or cut there might be nothing much in the way of the hole getting bigger, but I'd have thought a bit of that super-stick tape kept handy just in case would see to that if it did turn out to be a problem.

I think they might have been a bit more money last year, but not a lot. As I recall there were two colours, yellow and red. You can't really go far wrong for six quid, can you?

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
These sound like a better deal than last year's model, then, ged - although they are pretty big at 44litre - as they're PVC laminated polyester with welded seams. They're branded 'Crane', but the labels says they're produced in China for Aldi... As you say, probably not as robust as the Ortleibs, but OK for occasional use. Testing will tell :)

Just had a quick shufti, and they are about 33" circumference, making them just over 2ft long (circular base) before you roll the top down. I'll measure them properly in the morning.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They seem pretty robust - as good as the heavy duty Lomo bags and thicker than my Ortlieb. Can't go wrong with them.

The downside is a lack of carrying straps, but the seal is very good-its the best of all my drybags.

Are they back in?

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
They seem pretty robust - as good as the heavy duty Lomo bags and thicker than my Ortlieb. Can't go wrong with them.

The downside is a lack of carrying straps, but the seal is very good-its the best of all my drybags.

Are they back in?
Yes, I guess that carry straps (or rather, lack of) is a bit of a problem if theres a fair bit of kit in there....

And yes, certainly around here (Lancashire) they're in Aldi right now...

Og

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
Not had any from Aldi but I have had some from Tesco - used them a couple of times and so far so good.

As they were cheap (about £7 for two) I have 'trust' issues with them but used to keep kit separate & tidy in my pack (which has a large bergan liner inside) they work fine

Den

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I bought 4 a couple of months ago from Aldi , i have been using one 3-4 times a week since then for carrying food and safety gear when i go out in our rib and it has done well keeping everything dry and safe when it is clipped on the back of my seat .

Craig..........

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have 3 of them and the oldest is 5 years old, get used a lot for canoeing a good cheap buy, worth every penny.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Larger Tesco one here:

0b314019.jpg

They really hold the air in if you try to roll them straight down so should be pretty waterproof

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE