Charity Shop Christmas Gifts

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Look what Mrs Rebel got me from the charity shop for 3.99.

hat001.jpg

This is a shot of the actual hat, it's in immaculate condition, looks like it was never worn and it's my size. :) If she'd have wrapped it up for Christmas and pretended she got it for 40 quid from the store I'd have believed her.

I love a bargain even more though. :)

Not sure which model it is but it's a leather Driza-bone hat. I reckon it's either the Jackaroo or the Countryman.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Thats a great looking hat!

You can pick up some nice bargains at charity shops, I picked up a Davy Lamp for £2.50 all it need was a slight bit of glueing and now it works fine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I buy most of my my leather for sheath making - old satchels/music cases/handbags etc - and pouches - leather jackets/skirts etc - in charity shops.
I get some strange looks at times, aburly bearded bloke picking thru the skirts and ladies jackets , exclaiming with joy when I find something which is just what I need!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
John Fenna said:
I buy most of my my leather for sheath making - old satchels/music cases/handbags etc - and pouches - leather jackets/skirts etc - in charity shops.
I get some strange looks at times, aburly bearded bloke picking thru the skirts and ladies jackets , exclaiming with joy when I find something which is just what I need!

:lmao: - as long as you don't exclaim 'just the right size!' ;) - Love charity shops one thing makes me laugh though is when the have 'sales' :D

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
As usual i have only to look on BCUK to find the thread i was thinking of starting... :)
Just got back from Catford Heart foundation shop with a nice top. Its red with a hood and zipped down to midchest with a central pocket . A bit like the army nbc tops.
Also they had a nice dpm bodywarmer which had thin padding in pristine condition at £9. Too small for me though so best suited to a thin guy or teenager.
Nice hat and a real bargain Rebel. :)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
redcollective said:
That's a Countryman. Bargain.

Good to know. Thanks.

I read on a Website that this hat can be folded. Is there any special trick for that? It would be handy to be able to stuff it in a bag or jacket pocket if that's possible.

I was also wondering how to care for it as it's not going to look pristine for long with me using it! How does one clean and waterproof it (or at least make it water resistant). Is there any product that's good for treating this kind of leather? It seems to be suede.

Thanks for any replies.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You don't want that "lived in" look that says volumes about your adventures?
OK try Nikwax suede and nubuk proofer -environmentally friendly and efective -available from "all good outdoor shops".

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Lucky person, thats all I can say! I wonder what other goodies Bushcrafters have had out of Charity shops? I found a great leather belt a while ago and couldn't believe the £3 tag on it. Felt guilty as I walked out of the shop with my package though. ;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Don't worry John, my hat will get the "lived in look" soon enough, I'm trying to avoid the "wrecked with an owner who doesn't care look". I have some Nikwax nubuk waterproofer but you're supposed to get your garment soaking wet before applying it.

While browsing the Web I found these tips.

Care of Suede Hats

If your hat has a dull, matt, rough finish it's a suede finished hat no matter if it's made from Pig Skin, Cattle Hide, Buffalo or Kangaroo. Cleaning is a 4 step process.

1. First brush thoroughly with a nylon bristle brush to get out loose dirt and dust. Brushing periodically keeps the suede looking crisp and fresh. Brushing also serves to rejuvenate the 3-M Scotchguard treatment the leather has gone through in the tanning process.
2. Next buff up any matted suede or caked on dirt with emery cloth or fine grit sandpaper (yes I said SANDPAPER). This is how the suede is originally finished at the tannery. You need to pick a grit the matches the finish on your hat. Most of our hats like 120 grit.
3. On light coloured leathers a suede bar (eraser for suede) works miracles on many stains. Work it in a circular motion, aggressively "erasing" the stain. Then brush up the nap with the suede brush.
4. Stubborn oily stains from sweat cannot be removed. (Consider them as character for your hat). You can however remove most of the oils and odours by mixing 1 part baby shampoo and 15 parts warm water and scrubbing with the suede brush.

I have some ScotchGuard so I might give that a try.

I still haven't figured out how to fold it up.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Living in Germany most of the time, I love to get back to UK now and then and visit the "Dead shops"! There are some absolute bargains to be had and I think the only other buying experience I enjoy as much is car boot sales. In the summer, I went to a car boot sale with my folks and found all sorts of goodies, including a false leg of all things! I couldn't stop laughing as I thought of a one legged person taking their own falsie off, trying the falsie at the stall on and exclaiming "That's a perfect fit!!" :lmao:

That looks like a real bargain and in perfect working order, you can't ask for more than that. Top marks to the missus!!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I guess the wire brush is too aggressive, would that be right?

I haven't had a lot of experience with suede - always hated suede shoes.

Seems it's okay to spray Scotchguard on it to help waterproof it.

Quote from the same hat maker "Hatman Harry".

"During the manufacture of your hat, it was treated with liquid silicone or Scotch-Guard TM to make it waterproof and stain resistant. You can double this protection by spraying it with Scotch Guard or liquid silicone (which you can purchase at a shoe repair shop). You will darken your hat a shade when you add this extra protection, but don't worry you're not damaging it!"

http://headnhome.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/hat-care-info.html

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
guess the wire brush is too aggressive, would that be right?

I haven't had a lot of experience with suede - always hated suede shoes. Quote

I used to have a small rubber toothed brush that was used on suede shoes. A bit bigger than a toothbrush but it did the trick. You might also look for a brass wire brush, much gentler that a steel wire brush. I use one for cleaning mud off my walking boots. :rolleyes:

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
fred gordon said:
I found a great leather belt a while ago and couldn't believe the £3 tag on it. Felt guilty as I walked out of the shop with my package though. ;)

This is the problem I have when I know I've got a real bargin. I just have to keep telling myself "they're happy they got their asking price for it and I'm happy I found a bargin. Win/win".

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Nice one!

I love charity shops and car boots sales, got most of my kit through these means!

I got a swandri ranger/half zip shirt (burnt orange admittedly:() for £9

My dutch army bivvy came from a carboot for £4!, I bought an artic sleeping bag and three norgie tops off the same bloke charged me £15 for the lot. Made my week!

Got my bergan two weeks later (£10).

I also bought, a goretex northface jacket for £15 quid the other week from scope :)

Being an affluent area, Winchester turns up some lovely stuff, and living near an army barracks it isn't difficult to get hold off kit! I recomend everyone gets out and has a look around, I bet you'll find something that will make you trip worthwhile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE