Change of Festive Plans - What are you doing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear that Chris, and I really hope it proves to be just a sore throat.
Your Mum and Dad have lived through worse, and they know they'll see you just as soon as it's safe to do so.
I think you're doing the right thing, but it's cold comfort just now I expect.

On the groceries front; do you have an Iceland store within a few miles ?
It might not be exactly high end, but they are still offering next day delivery (free if you spend over £35) and they don't just sell stuff for the freezer. They sell salad makings, fresh fruit and vegetables, domestic necessities like toilet paper, kitchen towels, cleaning stuffs, bread, milk, eggs and the like too.

Iceland have always done home deliveries; they were set up for it long before the lockdowns started, and they aren't as overwhelmed as places like Sainsburys, M&S, etc.,
Just a basic grocery but at supermarket prices.

I know this probably sounds like an advert but for months I've only shopped online. Usually from Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, etc., and I can truthfully say that Iceland beats them all on delivery and equals them on quality and prices for the range that they do carry.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It might be you could get a test Chris? You’ve come into contact with a possible source, are showing symptoms, and have vulnerable relatives. I wouldn’t mention the cat, just that your neighbours have tested positive.

On the sore throat, it’s that time of year. Central heating, out into the cold and damp, back into central heating. We’re running a dehumidifier and if I forget to turn it off at night I wake with a sore throat sometimes that can last a couple of days. All the best.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Usually we eat christmas dinner with my parents, my girlfriend and my sister and her family together at my sisters house. This year we have dinner at my parents with me and girlfriend. And my sister and her family at their place. But later in the evening we will get together for presents giving. We don´t have a lockdown in my country. Our government just urges people to keep distance and not to gather like normal christmas.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers Toddy. I have never done on-line food shopping. My one attempt, for my folks, back in March, was spectacularly un-successful and it put me off. There is an Iceland, never shopped there. Will see how I go.

I thought about getting a test, but it would have to be private since I do not have any NHS specified symptoms, and there aren't many options for private. The only ones I have seen are Boots and Lloyds and they are not offered locally, and if I don't have Covid, driving into Milton Keynes, the nearest Boots that offers testing, seems more risky than staying bunkered at home. Turn around time of at least 72 hours will also be after Christmas, which defeats the object of spending the £120.

I am hoping that I can do 10 days from Saturday and get to my folks while the tree is still up, and can enjoy New Years with them.

Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was a nightmare in March trying to get registered and find a slot.

Technically there are three vulnerable adults in my household, so I knew I needed to persevere, and I did manage eventually, and made an effort to do so with all the local supermarkets. I felt that way I had choice if things went bad again.
The other thing I did was find online sellers for staples like flour, nuts and nutritional yeast, etc., It meant bulk purchases rather than normal sizes, but right now, that's no bad thing.
Those folks have been superb :) Maybe not derail the thread too far, but we could start another with suppliers ?

Best of luck with it Chris, I hope you're fine and your folks stay safe and well too.

M

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Chris.
Hope all turns out well.
I wonder if you're being overly anxious? I don't wish to play anything down, but look at what you've said - it got worse over the weekend but is now barely noticeable. You still clean products with disinfectant.
It sounds like you are particularly anxious about this.
I hope no one gets me wrong - yes, we all have to be careful and cautious and take appropriate actions.
But it is possible to go a little too far and worry more than one should.
Also, on the food front. As you say, by the time you've given it the appropriate self-isolation time (a wise action, in your case) then fresh veg will be out. That's not quite the same as having no food. Yes, having to eat tinned and frozen food for a couple of days isn't ideal, but first world problems and all that...
The fact your sore throat got better indicates you either didn't have Covid or, if you did, you got off lightly. So self-isolating for 10 days since the symptoms started is the right thing to do. And a couple of days of tinned food until the shops open isn't really cause for complaint. Not really.
As for your father - yes, a shame, and the real tragedy that you won't be able to see him and support him over this time. There's no answer to that.
In fairness though, it sounds like you are suffering more from anxiety than Covid itself. Try to be objective. Try to recognise when you are doing things like this and stop yourself - either going cold turkey (not for everyone, but can work) or focussing on something else until the thought passes. Try to stop the habit of wiping things with disinfectant (except in exceptional circumstances, and you haven't mentioned exceptional circumstances yet). Those kinds of habits have the...er...habit...of taking over and ruining one's life. Do your best to break it. I'm sure you can justify wiping things from the supermarket, but that's all you'd be doing - justifying it to yourself.

My absolute apologies if I've mis-read and misinterpreted your statements. Reading what someone writes is not the same as hearing them say it and it's too easy to misunderstand. If I've done that then please ignore what I've written.
I work for the NHS for a mental health Trust, and I do recognise some signs in the things you've written so if you feel I may have said something relevant and wish to discuss it then feel free to PM me.
Again, my apologies if I've got it wrong.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No worries Wander. I do think you read a little too much into my post. I suppose though that it is an occupational hazard for you. To a hammer, the world can appear full of nails, or something like that.

I have done anxious in the past, but not as you seem to imagine, and right now that isn't a problem. I am a very long way short of donning PPE when I open my mail, nor do I crawl around the house with a cloth and bleach! I am not doing Lady Mcbeth impressions with alcohol gell and my floor gets wiped when I can no longer discern individual muddy foot prints ;) Frankly, I could do with MORE cleaning habits, not fewer!!!

I am very aware mine is a first world problem, not even that, more like the least 15% of first world problems :lmao: but as I have said in the past, knowing other people have broken legs doesn't make a sprain hurt any less. Speaking of broken legs, I have met people who have criticized me for my caution and while they have certainly led interesting lives, they have made a much higher number of visits to the ER than I have.
Anyway, thanks for the concern. :beerchug:
Apology accepted :christmas1: :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Give me a day or so to adjust to change of plans and I will probably be happily engrossed in some detailed knife design, enjoying the lack of interruptions!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Another one here that's not doing anything different to usual. Just my OH and myself and various animals and we don't plan on going anywhere for a few weeks.

Actually, looking at the weather, it looks like it's going to be dry over Christmas so we'll be able to put some washing on for the first time in a few weeks!

It also looks like Christmas day will be an ideal time to treat our bees for Varroa, so I'll be spending a few hours going round the hives.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
And I've just noticed they are predicting 65mph winds for Boxing Day so I may be out with my chainsaw...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Putting a Moderator Hat on here.

In the interest of maintaining what little Christmas spirit exists this year, if your plans involve doing anything which runs counter to the current government health guidelines, do not post about it here.

At earlier points in the year, some members have felt compelled to vent their frustration and question and discuss bending or breaking rules they deem unfair. In every case the response from other members has not been supportive of this approach. Tempers have frayed. We do not need more of that now.

In principle this is little different from the forum not supporting people who want to post about stealth camping without permission, poaching "one for the pot" or other activities which break laws.

Thank you for your understanding.

Chris

Reactions: Toddy and Broch

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Like you, it’s just me & my parents(mid 70s)
I also don’t touch pets as I firmly believe the virus lives on their coats.. plus I’m allergic to certain furs.
On the 1st lockdown people on our marina where social distancing, except the dogs where jumping & licking at people, makes one wonder?
But then again I am a lone nomad & don’t know of anyone who’s had it?

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Perhaps this is a suitable book to read at this moment.

71bflih27fL.jpg
Read it, uncannily these things are happening.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE