Cats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
Absolutely, yes.

I grew up right on the sussex/hampshire border in a village called Milland and was in the woods near Iping with the dogs (we're talking 20 years ago).

One of the dogs was 'Prince' a greyhound x deerhound. black.

I clearly recall sitting in dark coniferous wooodland with the dogs running around within a 100m radius of me when about 15m away I saw what I took to be Prince, but the tail wasn't quite right. thicker and with more of a curl at the end. The animal crossed from my 2 o'clock to my 11'o'clock and then turned 90 degrees away from me and disappeared into the brush.

a heartbeat later and both dogs were right next to me, having arrived from behind me and cowering. I near shat myself too and we didn't go back to that wood again!

Draw your own conclusions - that was how it was.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Yeah mate, sometimes when the hair on the back of your neck stands up you just know whats what. This was heard of 10 to 15 years back. Apparently Killing sheep, defo dead sheep carcases being found, along the river eden from the fringes of the city out towards the estuary. Probably cause its getting older now its venturing after easier prey and actually come within the city boundry, and hey presto its made the press.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never seen one but they've got to be out there, escaped or released when the owners couldn't cope anymore probably.

Absolutely, yes.

I grew up right on the sussex/hampshire border in a village called Milland and was in the woods near Iping with the dogs (we're talking 20 years ago).

One of the dogs was 'Prince' a greyhound x deerhound. black.

I clearly recall sitting in dark coniferous wooodland with the dogs running around within a 100m radius of me when about 15m away I saw what I took to be Prince, but the tail wasn't quite right. thicker and with more of a curl at the end. The animal crossed from my 2 o'clock to my 11'o'clock and then turned 90 degrees away from me and disappeared into the brush.

a heartbeat later and both dogs were right next to me, having arrived from behind me and cowering. I near shat myself too and we didn't go back to that wood again!

Draw your own conclusions - that was how it was.

Well your one of a lucky few!!:wow1:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nah... It's a Westmorland Kitten gone wandering....
10980.gif

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My only 'sighting' was near the Ayrshire/D&G boundary whilst speeding to an urgent call in a local village.

It was night and the headlights caught eyeshine by the side of the road.
I saw a black, what I thought a cat,go into the long grass of the verge.

It was as I passed I thought Hmmmn,the tail was long and 'clubbed' at the end just like a Puma.

My partner just saw the eyeshine.

It's an area where there's been sightings in the past.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
You hear stories from time time to time, usually from people I know that hunt in out of the way places, but I have never seen one or traces of it. I think it's not improbable that there could be some out there in the wilds; there is enough game to feed them. If they lived right out in the country side then it's feasable for them to live for years without been seen, apart from the odd sighting but these are normally only for a short time & by time the viewer's brain has said 'Thats a big cat... Oh ****' then they are useually gone. Hence there are not a lot of photos.

I read a fair amount on it a few years back & then went to London Zoo a bit after that, where I spent some time looking at the Big Cats. There are quite a lot of them that are not really that big i.e. the same size as a medium to large dog. There are also some quite big domestic & feral cats about, especially the latter, which could quite easyly be confused with one of the smaller Big cat species. I once saw a large feral cat while out pigeoning on a local farm that was the size of a female labrador. Big but not huge & it was definatly a strain of domestic cat. It was after my pigeons in the decoy pattern but got wind of me and was off. Interesting to see but I was glad I had the shotty with me after some of the stories I was told down the pub later that evening....

In the end, it's a bit like the stories of the Yeti, Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster etc.. It's nice to believe in the idea but we are not likey to see one in the flesh or even for one to be discoverd dead, been well photograhed or even caught alive, which you would have thought would have happened by

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
I would normally agree with Neumo on this one, the only thing is that nobody has found any bones, or not to my knowledge yet, and these stories have been around for a good 15-20 years, surely a few would have died since then?

Sam

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have heard tales that fox hunters, that 'control' problem foxes, have shot a few and kept quiet but the papers would pay a fortune for pics and a story so that is something that most people would not keep quiet about. Possable though, like any good tale...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE