catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taylor27

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2007
northern ireland
i just want to know what you guys think of catapults, because i recently got into bushcraft but always went fishing,camping an hunting squirrels an ,if i get close enough rabbits.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In another thread I noted that peashooters are illegal. How come then we can still buy and use catapults? Doesn't add up in my view. I used a home made catapult many years ago and they can ve very accurate for rabbits once you get your aiming sorted out. :)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
fred gordon said:
In another thread I noted that peashooters are illegal. How come then we can still buy and use catapults? Doesn't add up in my view. I used a home made catapult many years ago and they can ve very accurate for rabbits once you get your aiming sorted out. :)

Good question there... then again, from a Fred, you wouldn't expect less :cool:

Speaking of legal and blowgun, anyone knows if it's the same legislation in Canada ? I've seen it being sold a few years ago (I haven't really checked again since then), but I'm wondering if it's legal...

Cheers

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Gailainne said:
Hmm big difference between "pea shooter" and blowgun, blowguns I can understand, peashooters :rolleyes:

Peashooters are indeed covered by:

(k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;

Criminal Justice Act 1988

as far as I can see.

Gailainne

Life Member
bent-stick said:
Peashooters are indeed covered by:

(k) the weapon sometimes known as a "blowpipe" or "blow gun" , being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;

Criminal Justice Act 1988

as far as I can see.

Thats amazing, so a drinking straw, with a wet paper wad (as no doubt most if not all of us has utilised at some time during our school life) is an illegal object !!!!!

All I can say is I'm glad that they(government) are focusing on the serious issues... is there a sacastic icon other than :rolleyes: I think I may want to use a few hundred.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You have to look at this in context. Blowguns and pea shooters are not illegal. Using them to fire projectiles is. You can make or buy one, but firing darts is stepping over the line. In fact, I'm going to have to read up on this, because I think it only applies to hunting. Target practice may well be OK. If not, I've been a criminal for years.

Eric

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
fredcraft said:
Yeah, that was my tought exactly. How can they sell illegal stuff ?

Kind of like those somewhat "springless" jack-knives I've seen... If it's not illegal, it's really borderline !

There was a discussion of blowguns a couple of months ago, and I looked up the laws in Canada. IIRC, the rules are effectively the same; blowguns are illegal for hunting. I'm not sure if they are legal to possess and shoot targets with though.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
We were bored at work the other day so I made a blowdart system using the tube of a biro type pen, a cotton bud and needle which was quite good fun :)

Gailainne said:
Thats amazing, so a drinking straw, with a wet paper wad (as no doubt most if not all of us has utilised at some time during our school life) is an illegal object !!!!!

All I can say is I'm glad that they(government) are focusing on the serious issues... is there a sacastic icon other than :rolleyes: I think I may want to use a few hundred.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
The hard end of a boot lace (Plastic sheath) with one end feathered and a pin or even better a finely honed needle pushed through, blown out of a common drinking straw.........................................................magic !

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE