Catapult competition at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm planning on having a catapult competition at the Moot, it's intended to be fun rather than a full on destroy everyone to win competition, so keep that in mind!

Bring your catapults :headbang:

We'll likely use mint imperials for the fun and we'll look at setting up in the archery range area for a couple of sessions where any of you that are really serious can shoot lead!

Reactions: boubindica

Trotsky

Sounds good, I'm just in the process of making a "micro slingshot" (it's only 7cm high!) I'd better get some practice in I guess.
Interestingly enough these little micro slingshots are also ideal for launching arrows so they can be used down the archery range too.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have a supplier in china who can supply Mint imperials which are spherical to with 0.4 micron. They also have a power centre which is 4 times the density of icing sugar but which looks just the same after impact. Just saying !!!!

(thought it would have got more of a bite... Just my sense of humour then)

Last edited:

Trotsky

O'this sounds like fun. Can anyone recommend a catapult to buy
That depends how you want to hold the frame and how much you want to spend.
I don't really like the thumb and forefinger grip so I use the hammer grip which lead me to get a Rambone (made by Jörg Sprave of the slingshot channel on youtube.) While my other half opted for a TacHammer as it's a more slender grip and cheaper. Gamekeeper John sells some nice ones as does Hawks Catapults on ebay, John also has tons of informative videos on youtube that will help you out.
Personally I would recommend flat bands over tubes and if you get asked about OTT or TTF go for OTT, both are just as accurate but TTF can lead to more fork strikes starting out.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
sounds great!!! i just booked the Butanese Bow Making workshop so i'm just hoping it's not on the same day as that... if it's not, I'm in :)

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I have a supplier in china who can supply Mint imperials which are spherical to with 0.4 micron. They also have a power centre which is 4 times the density of icing sugar but which looks just the same after impact. Just saying !!!!

(thought it would have got more of a bite... Just my sense of humour then)
HM, can you get me sumo'dem mints please, or am i too late? i don't know where to get mint imperials that are even slightly spherical... i've only seen ovoid shaped ones... having said that, i've not had one in a long time so they may have changed shape?

ooops, i think i just saw that there may be some there, in which case i'll make a contribution or buy them off Tony? better if they are already there as i'm struggling to lighten my load ;)

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Looks like I’ll be coming to the Moot then. :)
I'll be well disappointed if you don't Wayne! Actually, you're probably the man to ask... i don't really want to bring my axe to Wales, so i'm hoping i won't need it for the Bow-Making workshop? Do you have axes already? Or maybe the bows are made using something else?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE