Cataplana.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A friend of mine showed me a wonderful looking thing last night! A Cataplana.
conchadouro_1068115384_imagem4.jpg

It's a Portuguese hinged cooking vessel his traditionally made from copper with a tinned interior and clamps on the side to seal it shut. They are a bit like a cross between a tagine and a pressure cooker. Takes very little heat to warm it. Reckoning on it being great for campfire and woodburner cooking whilst away. You can get them in steel too. Quite fancy getting one for myself from HERE but we're going to try out my pals old one first to see how it fairs.

Another friend who used to visit Portugal a lot says that in the rural areas the folk would come to market, buy produce and put it in the their Cataplana then drop it of to the local baker who would pop it in the oven so they could have a meal later in the day.

Will keep you posted on how it all goes - or even better has anyone used one?

NB the one in the picture is overfilled as it's part of an add.

TTFN,
GB.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks interesting GB never heard of them before, look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry I get excited by kitchen exotica especially copper stuff, but this does look like it has potential. Will keep you posted - you're a chef aren't you?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a Clamshell Pot.

Haven't seen one in yonks, but I was told that they were good on top of cauldrons for making cakes as well as steam cooking in the jus veggies and small meats.

Interested to hear how you get on with it :D

M

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sorry I get excited by kitchen exotica especially copper stuff, but this does look like it has potential. Will keep you posted - you're a chef aren't you?

I totally understand I love kitchen gadgetry. And yeah after a fashion, I don't work in restaurants anymore though. 10 years of working 60 hours a week seemed quite enough!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It looks like a large Jaffle iron. I wonder if this is where they got the idea from? I love backcounty solutions to cooking problems: simplicity is all and saves fuel, time and labour and gives such great results. In the kitchen it saves washing up! Looking forward to reading more on this.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one I mind was made of iron (steel?) though, not copper. It was treated just like the girdle, or a good wok, I suppose. Rinsed out with boiling water and dried with a wee bit oil rubbed in.
Kind of like a saute pan with a good lid, iimmc.

Mary

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Not got one, but when in Portugal a few years ago had a couple of meals out and ordered one. In the region we were in it was a dish of pork and clams with potatoes in sauce. It was so good the people on surrounding tables were all ordering it too. So can recommend the results of its use highly ;)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I like the way the sites selling them claim they're ancient, yet according to wikipedia invented in the 20th century http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataplana

Interesting point but the article on Wikipedia is a stub and still needs additional citations for verification.

It is an interesting cooking utensil though and I'd love one. Fortunately a shift to somewhere not that far from the Portuguese border is in my near future so I'll probably be able to gratify my desire for a cataplana.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE