Cast iron kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Hi all

after a decent size cast iron kettle for use over a fire. I see there are a range of cheap kettles on eBay listed as humidifiers and with a warning label saying not for drinking from as they are unlined.

Does this matter? Can't recall ever seeing a lining in any of the old cast iron kettles you see kicking about in use. Is this just a cover your a*se statement from the seller, or will I suddenly start attracting magnets if I use one?

Tom

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I believe the coating is there to prevent rust forming inside the kettle (probably some kind of enamel) I don't think i would like to use an iron kettle without some kind of coating, you never know how much rust might end up in your brew.

Tonyuk

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have two cast kettles I'm on my 3rd cast kettle in 28 years. No lining, no oil. Boil it's self stupid on open fires for months and moths. Then sits on wood burner all winter. It goes rusty if not used. I think it's what's in the casting. I have a full set of cast pans, again same age. These are always seasoned with oil and cooked in regularly. I do know that if the kettle ever boils dry over the years, little beads of what look like solder appear on the inside. You can get a build up of lime scale in kettles and this can become part of the lining. My first kettle was thick with lime crust after 17 years of my use & it was secondhand when I bought it from a antique shop in Wales. I took it to be sand blasted. Not a good idea. It cracked the cast kettle. That's why I'm on my 3rd kettle. I will look into why these cheap new kettles should not be used for drinking, because I'm interested.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've a selection of cast iron pots and anodised aluminum Dutchy. Though for kettles I cant beat my old copper kettle. Boils quickly, pours like no modern kettle, will outlast anything, was cheap as chips and looks cracking burnishedly gleaming over a fire or on the woodburner.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE