Cast Away in The News

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
How fat was the missing crew member?

He does look at bit chubby for a diet of turtles, and his hair and beard look quite thick for the lack Vit C.

There are traces of vitamin C in most fish. If eaten raw this might be enough prevent scruvy. Furthermore, roe, especially from cod - and quite possibly also from a number of other fish - are quite rich in vitamin C. Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of fish in the pacific, but one could expect - especially based on the research and experiences of Dr. Alan Bombard and Vilhjelmur Steffansson - that suitable amount of raw or minimally cooked fish could provide enough vitamin C to aviod scruvy.

//Kim Horsevad

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
There are traces of vitamin C in most fish. If eaten raw this might be enough prevent scruvy. Furthermore, roe, especially from cod - and quite possibly also from a number of other fish - are quite rich in vitamin C. Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of fish in the pacific, but one could expect - especially based on the research and experiences of Dr. Alan Bombard and Vilhjelmur Steffansson - that suitable amount of raw or minimally cooked fish could provide enough vitamin C to aviod scruvy.

//Kim Horsevad

He looks pretty scruvy to me! :D

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark

I am not quite sure what you mean... Judging from the pictures the man has no obvious signs of vitamin C deficiency. What features do you interpret as scurvy?
(Is it some kind of joke I do not understand? English is not my native language. Have I made some kind of grammatical or orthographic blunder?)

//Kim Horsevad

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not quite sure what you mean... Judging from the pictures the man has no obvious signs of vitamin C deficiency. What features do you interpret as scurvy?
(Is it some kind of joke I do not understand? English is not my native language. Have I made some kind of grammatical or orthographic blunder?)

//Kim Horsevad

It is a joke "scurvy" can also be a bit of a put down - in a kind of old fashioned almost shakesperian way of speaking - "A scurvy knave" is a chap who is untrustworthy and un-attractive.
"Scurvy dogs" would be a pirates put down of any opponents :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
It's not like he was on a small life boat though...
No details have emerged about how the 7m (24ft) boat ran into trouble or how his
companion died.

He may have had a few bits on board to help him distil limited amounts of water, he had fishing kit of some sort, he was able to exercise a little, so it could be possible to survive a long time and not be in too bad a condition.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Thirteen months adrift is a long time but apparently not as imposibble as it first appears. The previous record was 9 months held by Jesús Vidaña in a similiar sized boat.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

//Kim Horsevad

Scruvy - scruffy As spelled rather than Scurvy. Yep, a joke. :)

http://thesaurus.com/browse/scruffy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by horsevad

//Kim Horsevad

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

//Kim Horsevad

Thanks I never knew that.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds incredible but not unpresidented.

It looks like that is the way the currents flow in that part of the pacific and there is a related story of three Mexicans adrift for nine months and washing up in a similar location.

Makes you wonder how many drifted the same way but didn't survive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE