Carving a simple Wood Spirit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phil1981

Oct 27, 2012
Livingston
hi i dont know what am doing but i thought that i would give it a go i got a bit of wood and i took the bark of it and left it to dry (in my home) but it has started to split is this from removing the bark before it had dryed out or is it from me drying it in the home.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Hi, Probably bit of both tbh, its best to leave the wood to dry somewhere cool first, or if you carve it green keep it in a cool place or if you can in a open plastic bag in a cool place.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
This is damned difficult let me tell you, or maybe I'am just bloody rubbish at this :lmao: I've seen the skills on display on this forum and I'am always impressed and thought I'am have a go myself. So I had a go for half hour or so, I took my Mora and sat out on the yard in the sunshine,like I say it's very difficult!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This is damned difficult let me tell you, or maybe I'am just bloody rubbish at this :lmao: I've seen the skills on display on this forum and I'am always impressed and thought I'am have a go myself. So I had a go for half hour or so, I took my Mora and sat out on the yard in the sunshine,like I say it's very difficult!

So how did you get on, a Rodin or a Picasso. Post a pic, i'd like to see. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Don't give up!
I use carving heads to test the versatility of a knife when I am writing reviews (clippers are great!) and although not classic "Wood-Spirits" my "Small Gods" are fun to carve.
With a good knife you can do almost everything that you can with cheap carving chisels :)055.jpg039.jpgDSCF4113.jpgDSCF4202.jpg
The third picture is of a "Large Goddess" that was commissioned for a play ("ugly, distorted, tribal carving of a woman giving birth") and it stands about 8" high. This took axe, saw knife and some carving chisels ... this kind of carving does get a bit addictive!

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
DSCF4116.jpgDSCF4117.jpg
She was a pain to carve too!
Four bits of fencepost glued together (I had not wood big enough) and finished with a stain made from Oak Galls, rust and vinegar with a coat of Linseed to give it a sheen.
Everyone thinks I based here rear on my Missus....

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Don't give up!
I use carving heads to test the versatility of a knife when I am writing reviews (clippers are great!) and although not classic "Wood-Spirits" my "Small Gods" are fun to carve.
With a good knife you can do almost everything that you can with cheap carving chisels :)View attachment 29381View attachment 29382View attachment 29383View attachment 29384
The third picture is of a "Large Goddess" that was commissioned for a play ("ugly, distorted, tribal carving of a woman giving birth") and it stands about 8" high. This took axe, saw knife and some carving chisels ... this kind of carving does get a bit addictive!
Thanks foe the encouragement Mr Fenna, I'll not give up. I shall have another go at it tomorow, I guess it's perhaps down to practice! Errr maybe :)

Dec 11, 2014
Preston
Great post, I have just joined the forum and am a regular woodworker; inspired by this article I took a piece of budlea from the garden and started to carve a small wood spirit. 4 hours later I returned from A&E with a well dressed wound on my middle finger and an appointment to fix the tendon I severed.
Three points I learn from this:
I am experienced with cutting tools and woodwork but a single lapse of concentration can be very costly
I hope this is not a bad omen??
It is interesting typing with only 3 fingers available on one hand

Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE