Carving a Netting Gauge and Netting Needle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2015
Kent, UK
Hey everyone,

I've recently started getting into netting, and would like to learn how to carve my own needle and gauge.

In this video, Ray Mears show us how : [video=youtube;eUUz-_3zRlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUUz-_3zRlk[/video]

I was wondering, could I follow this method using a Mora 120 and a hatchet? The Mora 120 knife has a 57mm blade, so won't be able to take such big slices as Ray does with his knife, but I was thinking I could just take my time.

Also, it seems he's using sliver birch. Would this be an ideal wood for a beginner? My plan would be to cut a fresh branch of birch and carve it while it's green.

Any help would be great :)

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If your silver birch is anything at all like our paper birch, split it and carve it green.
Ours goes from cheese to bone as it dries and branches are the worst.
That's not to say it can't be done but the effort is substantial.

So, your netting tools ought to be strong when finished.
If you can, cut enough straight, knot-free branch to carve 3. That way, #1
will be perfect.

Feb 10, 2015
Kent, UK
Thanks for the information everyone.

Interestingly, in the video linked to by Rabid, the gentleman says softwoods are a good choice, and himself uses pine. I guess that'd make carving easier. Any thoughts?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've made a few needles, one out of birch and a couple out of ash, all were seasoned wood which I prefer to carve to green. I'm not keen on the finish you get from pine although that's a personal thing. I really like ash for small utensils.

Once you have the rough shape spend more time carving the inner out before finishing the whole thing as it's quite a common mistake to break the inner needle. I would post some pics but my needles are back home.

It's great fun making a net and very addictive, don't forget to post your results.

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Second the use of Ash for carving though I've never made a netting needle. Ash isn't as tough to carve as some make out and I find it easy to leave a good tooled finish on. Never splits on me and dries tough and hard as well as looking great with the rings.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
See if you can get to the Moot in the summer, we always have a needle making workshops and a netting making workshop. I remember watching Mors knock one out in just a few minutes.

There's quite a few people on here that have made them and make them now, i'm sure they'll be along to give more advice along with what's already been offered...

Feb 10, 2015
Kent, UK
Thanks for the replies.

One more question, is it possible/easy to split a roughly uniformly 3mm thick sliver of wood from a log or branch? That's how I assume a gauge could be made, but I typed "cut sliver off a log" into a search engine and found nothing!

My granddad has two birches in his garden, I'll ask if I can have a branch off of one...

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks for the replies.

One more question, is it possible/easy to split a roughly uniformly 3mm thick sliver of wood from a log or branch? That's how I assume a gauge could be made, but I typed "cut sliver off a log" into a search engine and found nothing!

My granddad has two birches in his garden, I'll ask if I can have a branch off of one...

Not always as it depends on how the wood has grown and the type of timber. Some woods tend to be more knot (side branch) free and grow straighter. IMO your better to start off with a larger 'blank' then shape with an axe or saw followed by a knife. If you don't have much axe experience then the saw would be much safer - A wood working saw with a thin blade would be ideal. Use a soft pencil to draw out the shape of the needle so you don't cut off too much.

Feb 10, 2015
Kent, UK
I am a novice in axe use, so using a saw could be a good idea. How about this for a plan?

1) Cut off a straight branch, about 5cm in diameter

2) Use a back saw to cut a piece from the heartwood about 8mm thick (that is, cut off two sides of the branch to leave a 8mm thick piece from the heartwood)

3) Use the Mora 120 to carve the tip, needle and bottom semi-circle

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I am a novice in axe use, so using a saw could be a good idea. How about this for a plan?

1) Cut off a straight branch, about 5cm in diameter

2) Use a back saw to cut a piece from the heartwood about 8mm thick (that is, cut off two sides of the branch to leave a 8mm thick piece from the heartwood)

3) Use the Mora 120 to carve the tip, needle and bottom semi-circle

Sounds good, you might be able to baton through the piece although as stated you sometimes get a twist in the grain. On Ray's video he uses a piece away from the heartwood as the heartwood can split easily, especially with something thin like a netting needle.

He explains it better here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX0PyBeqjJg

Feb 10, 2015
Kent, UK
OK, I'll pop down to my local hardware store soon to get a Hilka backsaw, then give it a go. I think sawing through a 20cm log piece of green birch shouldn't take too long anyhow.

Thanks for the tip about not using the heartwood, seems a very important principle to be familiar with.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that I've never tried making a net. The process of making the netting needle and gauge has got me hooked. Are there any clear and useful videos on how to make the actual net itself, using the 'wilderness-made' needle and gauge?

Thanks in advance for any help.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Pretty sure if you search YouTube there's one from Ray's Northern Wilderness series.....I think it's one of the "extras" on the DVD :)

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
this is a good video showing showing Mors telling us where to put the knife when and how. Once you get these steps down you can indeed make a netting needle very very quickly. fun to do.

[video=youtube;roS23HCaPlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roS23HCaPlU[/video]

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I have to admit that I've never tried making a net. The process of making the netting needle and gauge has got me hooked. Are there any clear and useful videos on how to make the actual net itself, using the 'wilderness-made' needle and gauge?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not video's but there's a bit about it in Richard Graves's Bushcraft book. This reference looks good to: http://jonsbushcraft.com/net making e-book.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE