carrying your DD tarp..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The 4x4 gets folded over the ridge line to make it shorter then folded like ray mears does and back in its bag, the issue hootch folded alla ray and tied up with the ridge line.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
i am not/was not familiar how mears folds his tarp so i tried to find a video of it and eventually i came across this video [video=youtube;Llvnf5_j0EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llvnf5_j0EE[/video]
he explains/demonstrates it well from around the 4 minute mark if anyone else is interested.

this seems to make sense and be as compact as its gona get. adding a bag would only make it bulkier, even a compression sack i cant imagine doing a better job than this.

thanks folks

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I go with the other school of thought when it comes to packing a tarp and I just stuff mine in a bag...

After a few years of systematically packing a tarp away in a tight, uniform way I noticed that lines had started to show in the folds and had become weaker than the rest. I decided to just stuff my tarp in a sack from that point because the folds would never be in the same place twice and not weaken the same bit every time.

Since then, I have swapped tarps due to changing taste and material availability probably more regularly than they would have died anyway so it's a bit of a moot point. :rolleyes:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Ive found the bigger one, never used in the field.
As its still the festive season ill make it a gift. If you don't ask you don't get.
Pm me your addy and ill post it.

Richie

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a Hilleberg tarp rather than a DD.

I keep the cords separate, guy lines have lightweight mini carabiners on them, I find that leaving guy lines attached to the tarp often results in them flying loose and tangling when it is windy.

The tarp is simply stuffed into a rubble bag that can be compressed to fit every possible bit of space in my pack. If I'm carrying tent pegs, they are held together with big elastic band and the pointy bits placed in a cut down half litre cola bottle, which is then shoved into the tarp bag.

All the cords are kept in their own small stuff sack.

I find I can get a shelter up quite quickly.

I once had a Hennessy Hammock with snake-skins and if I was on a cross country speed hike or similar I'd probably choose that again.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE