carrying your DD tarp..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
hey i got a 3x3 DD tarp and i was wondering how people carry theirs? Just in the bag in came in or differently? I store mine inside the original bag, and then inside a drybag but this is clumpy/big (even without the drybag). I was wondering if anyone uses compression sacks to get it smaller or would these damage the tarp at all? thanks

garethw

Settler
I've a parachord ridgeline threaded to it with prussik knots so I can tension it at each end.. plus guys in each corner... After loads of trials the Ray Mears way of packing it is really the most practical. Makes it so easy and quick to put up. I keep it in the original bag to stop it getting the rest of my stuff dirty..
This than gets packed in the side pocket of my pack with my hammock, when dry.

cheers
Gareth

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I only ever bag mine if its wet and needs putting inside my pack. I always wrap the ridgeline and any other cords around the tarp-it stops them tangling and compresses the tarp at the same time.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I don't yet have a bishop bag for my DD tarps, but the 3x3 I fold neatly on the ridgeline, then wrap the ridgeline around it to slightly compress the entire thing and hold it all closed. This then just goes directly into the rucksack.

Similarly with the DD XL (4.5x3), though sometimes (depending on the rucksack I'm carrying) I strap it to the outside merely because it takes more room.

With the DD 4x4, I have made a snakeskin, and the whole thing gets bundled into a PLCE Bergen side pouch.

I don't waste my time with the bags the tarps come in... it's just one more thing to have to fiddle around with that, if you've set your tarp up properly to begin with, isn't necessary.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
i had to google it too as i had no idea, this video seemed to give me the best understanding. just seems like a bag with opens at both ends and you can have your ridgeline through?

i must look up mears' way of doin it to see if theres anything i get from it. i keep my ridgeline on my tarp now (after many times of taking it out and putting it away, and then having to re-do it all again the next day, etc). and yeah i guess it would be a good idea to not use the bag that it came with, and i could just bring the small drybag with me, but not put the rolled up tarp into it unless its wet.

as good as i feel drybags are, they take up more and more space the more you have. i also started using prusik loops on my ridgeline to keep the tarp taut, which works well.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Bag open at both ends with draw cords. One end of the attached Ridgeline comes out of each end. To set up tarp simply attach Ridgeline to two trees. Unfurl tarp and tension prussiks. Then guy out. Super simple. In reverse simply stuff back into the bag whilst hung. Avoids dragging a wet tarp on a dirty floor.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I cinch my tarp towards the centre of my ridgeline and then just drop it into a stuff sack, hanked guy lines included. I then clip the stuff sack to the ridgeline while I undo the cordage.

If the tarp is wet is doesn't really matter, the stuff I need to keep dry in my pack is already protected by a liner or dry bags, sometimes both.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Video of the setup i use, courtesy of RVOPs (Skip to 4.23):

[video=youtube;yB1spTRrhZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB1spTRrhZw&t=4m23s[/video]

I manage to fit mine into 1 snakeskin however as i take the tension off the tarp, tuck it into the hammmock and then pack into the snakeskin as above.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have two bishop bags but never got on with them. Bugger to get it in and it's bulkier but maybe I'm missing a trick or my bag is a tad small.
I don't always use my tarp in the same way. Sometimes I have just a little forward overhand and with the Bishop bag I have to undo everything and re-thread the ridge line.
No need for a dry bag unless packing it away wet.
The DD bag is oversized for the tarp and I tie the cord around mine to cinch it in a tad.

Last edited:

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I have two bishop bags but never got on with them. Bugger to get it in and it's bulkier but maybe I'm missing a trick or my bag is a tad small.
I don't always use my tarp in the same way. Sometimes I have just a little forward overhand and with the Bishop bag I have to undo everything and re-thread the ridge line.
No need for a dry bag unless packing it away wet.
The DD bag is oversized for the tarp and I tie the cord around mine to cinch it in a tad.

You do make a valid point, it's is kind of a ridge line setup thing.

I will need to practise tarp set up with this configuration (the bag can come off very quickly but the main ridge line has prusiks attached to the tarp) If I'm not sore what's going to happen I normally just have a tarp in a dry bag with a handful of guy line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE