Carrying, storing, and transporting lanterns ? What do you use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a small assortment of Tiley lamps, petromax lantern, bialadin lamps.
Two in particular I would happily take to a fixed camp, especially in Winter time when cooking at night can be a bit of a pain.
Thing is that to carry them safely is a real pain, and to store them and their generally non interchangeable bits and pieces is another issue.

How do you manage yours?

cheers,
M

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I store, and transport mine in one of these:

brass5.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I urge you to buy one of these, especially with the BCUK discount:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ind...n/products.detail/code/91210032/id_colour/124

Tiny, amazingly bright, light weight, robust, powered by cheap AA batteries.

Other than sentimental or romantic reasons I really don't see why you would put yourself through the pain of lugging around these old school lanterns.

It's simple; batteries don't work well in the cold. I can't shoogle the lantern and know how much longer I'm going to have light either.

Hi Toddy

Not very cool I guess, but my Tilley gets carried around in a bucket packed around with newspaper. Seems to work OK, and it's always handy to have a bucket!

Yep, me too :D
I just thought there must be a tidier option; one that seems sort of 'right', iimmc.

I did wonder about cutting up a camping mat and making a kind of padded and zipped tube thing to drop the lantern down into, but then I wondered about fuel dissolving the expanded foam :dunno:

Needs a think.

cheers,
M

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Paraffin won't dissolve anything like that it should work but unless you have an old mat probably cheaper just to buy the one from the link I posted

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Coleman used to sell ceases for their lanterns, I have two but i think they are not great and wouldnt help you. Luckily because its so hard to get them now people have started making padded pouches for them which may fit yours, they do a few sizes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PADDE...gSupplies_ET&hash=item19c02ce582#ht_500wt_969

Failing that make something from plywood

You linked a soft pouch. Is that what you mean by "Coleman used to sell...?" They still do sell the hard cases: www.rei.com/product/629281

Or more selections here: www.thefind.com/sports/browse-coleman-lantern-case

Or here: www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=coleman+lantern+case

I use the one in my first link and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have found that transporting pressure lanterns is better if they're empty of fuel. I wrap mine in a couple of laps of bubble wrap and pack them on their sides in one of these, 2 lanterns to a box. If the mantles are sound, travelling horizontally won't hurt them. There's room in the box between the lanterns for odds & ends; meths bottles, funnels etc.

I also have one of these for my Coleman 222, and I'm well pleased with it.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I might have a crack at making a carry case for them out of a decent thickness leather. 3mm maybe? It'd only need to be a tube with press stud lid. The lantern handle could them be used to carry it by keeping it outside the case.

Thoughts guys?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ind...n/products.detail/code/91210032/id_colour/124

Other than sentimental or romantic reasons I really don't see why you would put yourself through the pain of lugging around these old school lanterns.

I hope Squidders that your post is a failed attempt at humour;)

A bit like Ian's post, I use a bit of bubble wrap and a thick cardboard tube thats been wrapped in duct tape to keep out moisture. I do have a coleman hard case but its the wrong size for the lanterns I have:rolleyes: That said, last weekend I carried a big Coleman and two hurricane lanterns in a Tesco bag for life and all three survived.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

The fact that (at least for a Vapalux) they not only chuck out at least 60 watts of light but also 1400 watts of heat is enough to put the dampers on a little battery doodah, for me at least!;)

I've made plywood carrying cases for my Vapalux lanterns,(copies of the squadron workshop made ones we used to use on exercise etc.) with various spacers and padding to make it as secure as possible. They are still fragile however, particularly the mantles which usually end up needing replacement after an outing (though not always) but the glasses are the bits I worry most about and actually tend to wrap them in bubble wrap for transport and storage.

all the best

Steve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like Rik's idea.........no reason that the cut up camp mat can't be duct or sniper taped into a solid tube, maybe in layers ? and two layers made like an envelope to protect the shade/reflector.
Mats are being sold for £1 just now in the poundstores, as is the cheapo tape, so no great loss if it doesn't work for all that long.

I wanted something robust & lightweight but without sharp edges so that I could tuck it in among other kit in the car.
I liked the soft bag thing, but I look at it and think I could make that for myself, I'm just trying to keep the time factor down.

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE