Carbon v Stainless?

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Sorry for making another thread but I have the Mora Clipper 840MG, and I wonder why there is a stainless version.

So what is the advantages and disadvantages between stainless and carbon?

I know this

Pro's

Carbon can be used as a flint and steel striker, as it's high carbon steel.

Carbon holds a sharper edge.

Stainless does not form iron oxide (rust) as fast as carbon as it has a coating to protect it.

Con's

Carbon can rust if not looked after.

Stainless is hard to sharpen.

That's all I can think of.

So what is the best steel and why?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I prefer carbon :)
It looks better - at least, once patinated - which also helps prevent rust!
It is usually easier to sharpen in the field
It takes and holds a great edge
It "feels" right :)
I do own some SS blades - I prefer carbon :)

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
stainless has quite a cold surgical feel to it, carbon seems a bit more freindly.

carbon will not only hold an edge longer generaly speaking, but it will sharpen up alot sharper and quicker.

carbon is generaly tougher.

however, if your doing alot of canoeing, working in predominantly wet environments like the coast ect, i would opt for a high quality stainless such as sandvik 12c27, which happens to be the same steel used for the mora stainless knives. i beleive their carbon blades are made from 1095 carbon steel, tempered to 61 rockwell, however i doubt they are this hard, as the edge deforms fairly easily when compared to alot of tool steel knives.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have a Neito folder in 440 SS which I find easier to sharpen than any of my other knives - it is also my only hollow ground knife which again I guess should make it harder to sharpen. It's a good all rounder.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its a personal choice thing. Good stainless steel will equal carbon steel and then some. But, stainless "can" be harder to sharpen due to wear resistance, but this same wear resistance stops it rusting and also helps keep the edge sharp for longer.

Falknivens are stainless (VG10 as standard) and are simple to sharpen and they hold that edge for a very long time.

Horses for courses really. What do you want from a knife?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
As HillBill says stainless holds an edge longer, that's why it's harder to sharpen. Depends on the stainless though. I like 01, but a good stainless steel has more pros by far than 01.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Part of the reason that so many makers use O1 instead of fancy stainless steels is that its dead easy to get from Cromwell's and easy to forge.

There's nothing at all inferior about a good stainless steel, its just harder to get and harder to work with.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......I have the Mora Clipper 840MG, and I wonder why there is a stainless version......

mora make both carbon and stainless versions of that knife for all the reasons above, some people want stainless, others don't, mora want to get money out of all their wallets, it really is as simple as that.

as to the pros and cons, well which carbon and which stainless are we talking about? how have they been manufactured? what do you want to use them for? and a thousand other variables. this is one of those subjects that i don't think we're ever going to lay to rest.

personally, i think carbon steel generally looks prettier whereas stainless tends not to take as much looking after. other than those two factors there's absolutely nothing at all in it, but that's just my opinion.

What is the best curry and why? :)

my mum's 1970's style sweet curry, complete with raisins, pineapple chunks, cauliflower, and peas. absolute bliss.

stuart

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't look after the couple of knives I have really :( so prefer stainless steel, I only take a 2010 with me and its rarely used apart from from food prep and the edge holds well.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is a stickie at the start of the Edge Tools forum that has this section:

Is carbon steel better than stainless steel?
http://knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

http://knifeart.com/tabofdifstee.html

Types of steel
http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

This is like asking are oranges better than apples. The simple answer is no, carbon steel isn’t better or worse than stainless. The real question is whether the knife you are looking at is made of a good grade of steel and whether that steel is suited to the use you want to put it to. In general carbon steel can make stronger knives which are more shock resistant and more flexible than stainless steel, but unless you are chopping and prying with a long blade that isn’t an issue. Knives used in the kitchen, or for cleaning fish, or for hunting, or anywhere that is very damp are going to hold up better as stainless steel, but plenty of people use carbon in exactly these conditions and manage with a bit more maintenance.

Hard steel is harder to sharpen than softer steel, high alloy steel is more wear resistant than low alloy and fine grained (properly heat treated) steel is easier to sharpen than co**** grained steel. There are hard low alloy carbon steels and very hard high alloy carbon steels used in knives, there are also very high alloy very fine grained stainless steels that are fairly easy to sharpen. Modern sharpeners, diamond and ceramic, as well as Japanese water stones make light of sharpening hard steel.

For a first bushcraft knife there are more high quality carbon bladed knives than there are quality stainless knives. The Moras are excellent, inexpensive knives, there are also many traditional puukos that won’t break the bank. When you are ready for a more expensive knife you will probably not need to ask what steel is better, its mostly a matter of preference and by then you will have a better idea of what you like.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8793

There is such a thing as good curry? I don't believe you!

General note on the now deleted posts. If you are having a problem elsewhere it is probably better not to post on a forum lest you say something you later regret. I speak from all too frequent personal experience.

Cheers :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE