Carbon Monoxide detector a good idea?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
We have a woodburner in our bell tent and usually leave it burning slowly through the night.

With this in mind, would it be advisable to get a Carbon monoxide detector for use in the tent, or is a tent "breathable" enough to avoid any build-ups of harmful gas?

Any advice gratefully received!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Most of the carbon monoxide should be evacuated through the chimney but a detector will let you know if your stove is working correctly......remember too, that CO is heavier than air & concentrates near the ground (dangerous if sleeping in a closed area ) so if you do use a detector, place it fairly low down or it may give false 'all clears' if you hang it from the tent roof for example.
I think a CO detector is a good idea,....... could always use a canary I suppose :)

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
Would it not make more sense to keep it at floor level where we are lying, since that's the place we want to be aware of any dangerous gases building up?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
make sure co dets are replaced after four years,they have a limited life

Some have longer lives than others. The life on mine for example is ten years. But yes, they all have a life limit.

Would it not make more sense to keep it at floor level where we are lying, since that's the place we want to be aware of any dangerous gases building up?

The recommendation for use in a bedroom is that the detector should be positioned at about the height of your head when you're asleep in bed.

The density of CO is 1.145 g/l at 25C and '1 atmoshpere', that of air 1.2 g/l very approximately because the atmosphere changes a lot from time to time. So CO and air are very similar in density and the upshot is that you never really know what it will do. It will probably mix reasonably well in most circumstances.

Others have said that good ventilation is important and I'd say that's good advice. I'd rather have a good sleeping bag than a stove anyday, keeping a stove hot all night is a pain in the bum. A hot water bottle will stay plenty hot all night although it makes getting out to light the fire a less attractive proposition.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
This happend a while ago quite close to where we live...http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/4297.htmlPersonally I'd be very mindful about a wood burner running overnight... Presumably if it's cold enough to need to keep a wood burner running overnight then the tent will be well battened down so ventilation will be impinged which is generally the ideal conditions for any CO that is produced to build up and with the lack of oxygen perfect for incomplete combustion to occur further producing CO..If th fire has to be kept in then I'd definately look at a CO detector....A Co detector may well be

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not a great idea to keep a stove going all night, I let mine go out before I bed down. Really as someone else said, your sleeping bag/duvet should be good enough to match the season your in. Lets be honest, its only a couple of minutes work in the morning to relight the stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE