Car traction mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Does anyone have any recomendations for traction mats for a front wheeled drive car? I.e. not the ones aimed at off road 4x4 use but more for getting a normal two wheeled drive car off a muddy verge and, at a push, off some a bit of snow?

I've seen the ones for about £10 and the look a bit too flimsy, the ones for £100+ too thick and aimed at off road 4x4s. Is there anything in the middle that will be useful for a normal car?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I’ve used the floor mats from your car before now. They work very well on wet grass and snow, the cheap roll up soft recovery matts actually work great too.

Just remember three things when a vehicle is stuck, 1. Why is it stuck 2. Can you remove weight 3. Can you improve traction.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I've seen jute rope used to good effect, make a narrow rope ladder with steps about 6" apart and lay that under, just make sure to stake the top of the ladder in.

Bear in mind if you have a wheel slipping and another stuck you can put as much acceleration on as you want but the free wheel will just keep spinning, either apply the diff lock or of you don't, throw something for the wheel to bite onto.

We live near to the top of the hill and there are often cars that cant get traction on snow/ice, an effective remedy for this is to bounce up and down on the end which is powered, either on the SIDE of the bonnet, not the front, or hop in the boot and jump up and down.

(It's nice to finally have a use for my degree)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I second using the mats from your foot well. Works treat. Not that I've ever got stuck, ahem....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Random anecdote for the day.
I remember being about twelve and sitting of the bonnet of my mothers Allegro as she reversed it up a hill in the snow.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of what I could use if I had to but even my cheap car mats are more expensive than a purpose made traction mat.

I am fairly aware of why I need them. My current car is lighter than my previous one and the wheels offer less grip on slippery surfaces especially if there's weight in the boot. So, I don't expect miracles from some mats but I do expect they'll get used.

The ones mentioned look a bit too basic and possibly not as grippy as I would like so I'm still looking for ideas.

I wonder if something like this would be better?

I might also consider a pair of snow socks, I did buy chains for my previous car but never used them in 10+ years as I try to avoid going out in snow. I've found I can cope ok but many other drivers can't so there risk of being hit by someone is too much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE