car booty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Some leather boots that fit me (one of the first stalls, and I wore them all around the boot)

Colins gem SAS survival guide hardback

a plastic egg carrier

a widemouth eurohike bottle

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I got dragged out of bed early this morning.:cussing:
We had to go and sell a load of our old tat, and aparently it was the last boot sale of the season and the weather was good so we "had" to go... Hmmm...
I really don't get car boot sales. Its on a weekend, early on a sunday morning when decent folk should still be in bed nursing a hangover. You get up after spending loads of time sorting through old tat to take there the day before, then you go and set up on an old decorating table which is about to collapse and all these weird and wonderful people come along and rummage through all the stuff you want shot of. They say "how much for this..?" and you say £1, then they say "would you take 50p for it..?" and you say ok.
You end up making about £6.59 and have to fork out a fiver to sell there in the first place..

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Why not just phone up the charity shop, tell them you have a load of old tat, I mean very good quality items for them. They come and pick it up. You are rid of the old tat, you get to lie in and you don't have to mix with some very weird people......
Edit.. Not implying you guys are all weird, I just saw some strange people this morning and a side of people I have not seen before..

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You dont get the point, johnnyP, a car boot is where you get things like.

Vango force ten tent

mora knife

Berghaus rucksack.

and a whole load of other neat things, all for a song.

Obviously you have to see a mort of tat to get to those items.

Most of my kits come from car boots.

And charity shops dont want your tat, they are too posh. give it away on freecycle.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi
I used to be sceptical myself but the misses got me into boot sales, have to agee with Tengu- 95% rubbish 5% great gear all for very little. Here's some of the stuff ive picked up over the last few years:

Swanndri shirt and body warmer
2 x Paraffin lamps
Sleeping bags about 5 forces issue and civilian
Bushy clothing mostly forces stuff, boots, smocks and trousers (lots)
DPM issue tarp, roll mat, thermarest and goretex bivi bag
Issue bergen
Lots of books - field guides
Loads of mountaineering gear stoves, pots, duvet jackets etc

I think if I was starting over again I wouldn't buy anything new (apart from a knife and saw perhaps) as ive seen virtually everthing I use for sale second hand, you just have to root around to find it (and get up early on a Sunday!) Ed

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I love car boots, down here we get a big one on sunday and another big one on wednesday bit further away. I think the knack is to not go looking for specific stuff. i.e if you want a specific model of rucksack, you can get it new tomorrow, it'll probably surface within a few weeks on ebay, but you might not see it in 3yrs of car booting, but if you do, itll be a fraction of even the ebay cost.

I couldnt begin to list all the great stuff ive had at car boots over the years, but heres a few things ive had in the last couple of years that stand out.

berghaus crusader rucksack, still with the new sheen to it. £20
berghaus freeflow 35+8 pretty new £10
brandnew aa maglites £4 each but got 3 for tenner
barbour westmorland waistcoat, bit tatty but sweet now ive re-waxed it £5
completely trashed trangia, but burner and kettle were fine £2
just last week i bought a coleman dual fuel 533 stove £10 (and i aint blown myself up yet)

added to that is some tasty fishing gear, but unless your into sea fishing, you probably wont see the bargains here.

2 x penn 525 mags (one a supermag) £25 n £35
a century G5 beachcaster £40
a zziplex dymic beachcaster (i dont think ever used) £85 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shimano stradic 4000 (with 6 spare spools) £25

and the list goes on

fact is, i fished all my life and theres no way i could afford or justify affording a zzippy rod, so i wouldnt have one but for finding one at car boot. Theres a load of rubbish too, like limaed says, probably 95% but theres some proper bargains to be had

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I got a folding wilkinson saw for £1, albeit rather rusty, a box of kid leather pelts and off cuts of upholstry leather for £5 and a four season new sleeping bag for £12 (worth 65 quid online!)

I was only ripped off when I bought a burger - £3 for some sloppy thing on a stale bap.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Just got back from a car boot sale.
I was after leather (not a sentence you get to use too often). For just £5 I got a huge leather jacket with a massive back panel for making pouches and stuff like that, and a pair of thick biker's books - again with large flat panels of leather - for making a sheath.
I reckon that's an absolute bargain - acres of useful leather for the princely sum of just a fiver!
I love scrounging through people's tat. There's a bit of pikey in all of us.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
im just back. . . lol, got a 12m length of green 10mm poly rope for £2, a set of 3 stainless cannisters for a quid ( and they fit my hobo like was made for em ) a spare hobo drainer thing for 50p. a collapsable tea-light candle lantern for 20p, its slightly broke inside but easily mendable. a plce webbing belt for £2. plus a few tools, sum varnish and a few fishing bits n bobs.

some matey selling antique stuff had a strikealight but wanted £40 for it! :eek: shame

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
just bought a phoenix phreerunner tent, . . . single skin gore-tex job, brown and orange, the lightest pegs ive ever seen, and a sweet packsize. Put it up and other than being a tad mildewy and wanting a wash/reproof, oh and having a right complicated guying set up, it seems perfect!

how much? A 5 pound note! :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Unfortunately the few I'm been to have been full of nothing particularly interesting to the average bushy. Mainly old kids toys and pictures and crockery. My nephew picked up a new tangria for me out of charity shop for me at 7 quid. One of the big ones too. A tad heavy though, still a good deal methinks.

Nag.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Not much today.

A Hi vis vest, a bottling jar and some fishing junk...Im planning on making a long line.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
just bought a phoenix phreerunner tent, . . . single skin gore-tex job, brown and orange, the lightest pegs ive ever seen, and a sweet packsize. Put it up and other than being a tad mildewy and wanting a wash/reproof, oh and having a right complicated guying set up, it seems perfect!

how much? A 5 pound note! :)

I remember them being very, very good tents, with a correspondingly high price tag, sounds like a great find.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
About three weeks ago I had a nice score all off the same seller

Primus 96 stove in original tin
Primus 210 stove in original tin
Tilley 'Bowl' reflector heater with original Asbestos mantle
Valor 'Packaway' stove in original tin

£25 the lot, ebay value around a conservative £120 :)

Other bits were

Zippo lighter £3
Imco lighter £2
Feuerhand lantern £1.50

That was an exceptional day for me, more often than not I come away empty handed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE