Canvas tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No, but we regularly camp in its bigger brother.

5m radius bell tent, canvas... 3mx4m canvas awning at the entrance. Suits a family of 5 and with or without a power source, we've enjoyed every minute of it from the first time we put it up to the last time we took it down.

Camped in it with a broken leg, when the rains poured down so hard its been like camping on a river... and our favourite moment, playing cards by candle light and looking up at the stars.

Sorry if you think I may have hijacked... just love our bell tent... would talk about it for hours if anyone had the patience to listen ;)

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
Dewi, was it a greennoutdoors one? If so what do you make of the pu coated canvas, seems a weird idea. Should be very waterproof and hard wearing though. Wonder about breathability..?
I have a 10 man Frisport lavvu (nylon) but it's a bummer in the rain as you have to close the entrance. What I love about this design is the hidden awning, it's genius.
Navek, yeah saucy price alright but thankfully I haven't bought new!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That looks awesome!

I was given the number today of a sailmaker who I'm going to visit later this week... I've been having some ideas about some canvas additions that would work whether we take the large tent or if I go off into the woods solo. Really do love canvas.

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
Yeah I can see the attraction with the hemp alright. I have a huge A frame Relum, three f10's and now this and it's by far the nicest material.
Anything down on paper for the plan with the sail maker? Never thought of using them as a resource for shelter building!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
To start I as thinking of using a couple of metres, hem the edges and sew in two flaps either end to feed some webbing through... canvas hammock... more to test out stitching methods to begin with.

Have an idea for a carryall, but still sketching that. Bit more complicated than a hammock.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I used to work for someone who made hang gliders, I designed and made the fabric parts. I also used to partly finance my dinghy racing by doing sail repairs in the bar after races! Sailmakers are a great resource and well worth cultivating. I've recently used my friendly local sailperson to put some hefty eyelets into a dive harness because he has the equipment to do it properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE