Canvas hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I have been wearing hats for a few years now. So the itch to make one finally came :eek:

P1010443.jpg

P1010442.jpg

There are flaws. For one, the hat don't fit! The cotton canvas shrank in the wash. So I am going to try again with a pre-shrunked canvas. Still in the process of shrinking.

Comments are welcomed :)

singteck

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice effort! Shame about the post wash fit or lack of...was it hard to do? I ask because I want to attempt to make a certain shaped hat I can't find in the UK, it'll be a winter project done by hand as I haven't got a sewing machine.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
That looks really nice. I like the style of seam you used on the top rim, as this makes the hat stay in shape better.

What a shame it shrunk!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neatly done :approve:

This is a bit off the wall, but.......
If you iron damp cotton it will stretch. It stretches in wear too, like jeans. There's a fabric relaxer spray that is supposed to remove the need for ironing, if you spray wet cotton with that, and then iron it, sometimes you can rescue something cotton that shrunk too far :D

Just an idea.

cheers,
M

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Thank you.

...was it hard to do?

It's not that hard when I think of it now. It was when I was doing it.

Neatly done :approve:

This is a bit off the wall, but.......
If you iron damp cotton it will stretch. It stretches in wear too, like jeans. There's a fabric relaxer spray that is supposed to remove the need for ironing, if you spray wet cotton with that, and then iron it, sometimes you can rescue something cotton that shrunk too far :D

Just an idea.

cheers,
M

Thank you for the tips. Will give it a try but this hat will see duty on a smaller head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE