Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Interesting thread this folks, here's a few of my old favourites.............................

Old Berghaus Cyclops

008.jpg

Karrimor Pinnacle 2 canvas

010-1.jpg

Karrimor Outward Bound II canvas

009-1.jpg

Karrimor Alpiniste

012-3.jpg

Karrimor Hot Route

011-1.jpg

Karrimor Condor

014-1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OB II!
Argh - the number of times course members needed help packing those so they
1 - held more than just their sleeping bag.
2 - did not cripple them
3 - kept their gear dry

Would have been nicer in green though

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Dogoak theres some tidy classics there makes you want to get your wooly hat , blue javalin fleece , orenge caguol , metal thermos and go hiking :)

Well, iv'e also got the boiled wooly balaclava/hat, and period HH pile jacket and I think there's a red cagoule somewhere :)

Those sac's have seen an extreme amount of use over the years and I should have a clearout of kit, but the old friends are hard to part with!

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
And another :)

Dave (Muddyboots) spoted this one badly listed on ebay .

Berghaus Crusader in cordura 1990 ish vintage bit odd as theres no berghaus badge embrodered on it just the label by the handle
Picture040.jpg

Picture042.jpg

The side poochs zip together and a pair of basic straps for portage
Picture038.jpg

Picture037.jpg

The one thing I do like on this bergen is the inside zipped pouch thats ideal for paperwork and was omited on the later Vulcan
Picture036.jpg

But on the downside the top pouch is fitted reverse of the Roc and can be a pain in the **** :(
Picture041.jpg

Same 100 liter capacity of the later and more sort after Vulcan but with the Cyclops back system as the Vulcan has the Cyclops 11 back system with more padding .

Nice find Dave :)
Twodogs

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
My Vulcan wasn't labelled on eBay as a Vulcan either, but as a "BRITISH ROYAL MARINE ISSUE BERGHAUS RUCKSACK.. LARGE". It was without sidepockets (which I bought from Endys) and the internal frame wasn't fitted and the seller didn't know how it went in, but hey, it was £26 :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's another tidy example of what's out there, Dave's going to be over the moon with that one! Has the cat been sleeping on the pooches?

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Has the cat been sleeping on the pooches?

:lmao: Dog, most likely...:rolleyes:

Nice pack, there. Great condition.

Several discussions with Cliff about Vulcans, Crusaders and the like led me to think a handy admin pooch on the inside of the Vulcan would be a good idea.

A bit of a search on the interwebnet for an 'off the peg' option led me to one of these.

Ticked the box for size and I roughly guessed via Mk1 eyeball that the MOLLE loops and fasteners would drop nicely over the frame bar on the pack.

I wasn't wrong...:)

P2100019.jpg

The two fasteners can just be seen under the ladder locks.

Perfect fit across the back of the bergen and extends about half way down the main compartment. Nice and flat so doesn't get in the way, can take OS maps, personal docs, note pad, anything like that. Any important documents I put in there will be poly bagged for protection, the pooch is for stowing them away in the ruck.

A handy addition that I think will do the job well. The added bonus of no modding involved or needle work required so I'm happy with that.

Cheers.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
makes you want to get your wooly hat , blue javalin fleece , orenge caguol , metal thermos and go hiking :)

Cajoule, yep guilty. This picture is from a 1990 backpacking trip with my wife.
scan0003.jpg

Not a full on view of the ruck but here is my first internal frame pack. Not one of the more sought after "names" but a solid performer that served me well. This ruck took a beating from me and has many "ruck runs" to its credit, in addition to recreational backpacking. It is a Camptrails Catskill and came in at 5500 cubic inches of volume (roughly 90 liters). I recall my wife paying about $135 bucks for it.
Christmastime 1985 or 86. Please overlook the goofy git. :D
scan0002.jpg

scan0001-4.jpg

I gave this ruck to one of my Scouts, whose family did not have any funds for discretionary spending.

Gordy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice one Gents,

Gordy 1987 if the calander on the wall is correct. :)

Neil nice Mod mate.

Dave nice catch on the Bergen.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have one of these, a lowe alpine apalachian, i must have got it around 1995 or so i guess see here - mine is the older model that doesnt have the bungee straps, the elastic on the lid os overstretched and the waterproof nylon bit is delmainating a bit but its still sound
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/packs/rucksacks/lowe-alpine-mens-appalachian-6515/1230.html

1230.html

along with the swede 40l pack, the swede lk35 and a german mountain pack. the Lowe alpine has been round the world twice now and i lived out of it for a month in europe and 3 weeks in central/south america and its done dartmoor and the downs a few times aswell now - its a bit blue but is bombproof, internal framed and comfy and you can carry a surprisingly large amount of weight in it comfortably

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE