Canon d10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
Has anyone tried the Canon powershot range of G7,9 and 10s?

These are ment to be halfway between compact cameras and slr cams, they can apprantly take SLR quality pics but without the size.

Anyone used one?

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Been using the Canon SD800 IS for some time now and absolutely love it. Big LCD viewer with image auto rotate. Multi metering modes with exposure compensation capabilities. Has replaced my Canon A1, and AE1 SLR equipment. Image stabilization, digital zoom, Panoramic images, white balance. Max. image resolution is 3072 x 2304 pixels. The video mode is also pretty spectacular for a compact camera especially with a 4gb SD memory card in it (4gb/1 hour video capability).

Be safe.

NJ

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Has anyone tried the Canon powershot range of d7,9 and 10s?

These are ment to be halfway between compact cameras and slr cams, they can apprantly take SLR quality pics but without the size.

Anyone used one?

I think you might mean the G9 & G10

There's a review of it here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/

The competition have a similar model the Nikon Coolpix P6000 & P5100 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonp5100/

Both cameras are good but cost more than an entry level DSLR. The pictures won't be as good as those from an entry level DSLR but they should be fine. The lens and sensor just aren't as good. However I'm sure that the results would be satisfactory if you are upgrading from a lesser camera. The main advantage of these cameras is the small size for the features they offer.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I think you might mean the G9 & G10

There's a review of it here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/

The competition have a similar model the Nikon Coolpix P6000 & P5100 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonp5100/

Both cameras are good but cost more than an entry level DSLR. The pictures won't be as good as those from an entry level DSLR but they should be fine. The lens and sensor just aren't as good. However I'm sure that the results would be satisfactory if you are upgrading from a lesser camera. The main advantage of these cameras is the small size for the features they offer.
lol...yeah i sorry G not D.

Nice advice Rebel, what camera are u using? and in your opinion what would be good for around £300

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I love my G9. :D

I decided a DSLR would be too big to take backpacking and am very pleased with my choice of alternative. You should be able to pick up a G9 at a reasonable price now the G10 is out.

Main feature of the G10 seems to be that it is a more wide angle lens 28mm I think.

Wayland recently bought a G10 so they must be pretty good. :)

Stu

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have a G9. I have used it for about a year and a half. I think it is a fantastic pocket camera. I would not want to give it up. I have a nice DSLR System but taking it along is always an undertaking. The G9 slips in my pocket nearly unnoticed, is very capable with a good lens, excellent ergonomics, with great digital capture guts.

I highly recommend one. The G10 offers a bit "better" lens but otherwise is very similar to the G9.

These are not cheap, but offer many many performance features of a DSLR in a good package. I would not want it as my only camera, but as a daily always have it camera, it is super.

Here is a low light, hight ISO, walking stick stabilized, shot of a snowman taken with the G9 around Christmas.

bothellsnowman0350cu9.jpg

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Sounds like good advice from the other members. I haven't used these high-end point and shoot cameras myself but people do speak well of them. There are other models that are also good from companies such as Leica and Ricoh.

The quality of the images and versatility of the camera won't match even an entry level DSLR but even so they should be very good. As has been mentioned you are getting a lot of camera in a small package. I would imagine that the learning curve isn't as steep as it is for a DSLR (although entry level ones do have fully automated modes).

We often say about knives that the best knife is the one you've got on you. Same with cameras. If you have a big and heavy DSLR that you leave at home because you aren't willing to carry it then it's not much use. I'm a glutton for punishment though and always take mine. :cool: Maybe if I had more money I'd get a Coolpix P6000 as a pocket camera.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I love my G9. :D

I decided a DSLR would be too big to take backpacking and am very pleased with my choice of alternative. You should be able to pick up a G9 at a reasonable price now the G10 is out.

Main feature of the G10 seems to be that it is a more wide angle lens 28mm I think.

Wayland recently bought a G10 so they must be pretty good. :)

Stu
Sounds tempting, however i don;t know if i shud get the g9 or g10, coz the g10 has less zoom then the g9

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I have a G9. I have used it for about a year and a half. I think it is a fantastic pocket camera. I would not want to give it up. I have a nice DSLR System but taking it along is always an undertaking. The G9 slips in my pocket nearly unnoticed, is very capable with a good lens, excellent ergonomics, with great digital capture guts.

I highly recommend one. The G10 offers a bit "better" lens but otherwise is very similar to the G9.

These are not cheap, but offer many many performance features of a DSLR in a good package. I would not want it as my only camera, but as a daily always have it camera, it is super.

Here is a low light, hight ISO, walking stick stabilized, shot of a snowman taken with the G9 around Christmas.

bothellsnowman0350cu9.jpg
nice quality picture

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE