Canoes & Kayaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You don't see many canoes that narrow with so much rocker, usualy they're either wide with rocker or narrow without. Narrow with rocker isn't so common.
Looks nice. Quite full looking at the bow and stern, should help it ride over waves rather than cut into them.

You really want to click this link. :) Get cosy first though, you may be reading for some time.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Bushcraft + Canoeing = heaven on earth. Here's one of mine

NS

P1010180.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Thanks ! It paddles very nicely. Fast and organic-feeling, if you know what I mean. Wood canvas canoes have a unique feel. Weighs about 70 pounds. It's a "Peterborough" 16ft, 31 inches wide, depth about 12 inches. Seats are laced rawhide.

One of the paddles is a Northwest Voyageur style, the other is a Maine Guide style.

It's a narrow, low volume design so I am more comfortable soloing in it than travelling two-up, although I do know people who take them tandem on Scottish lochs. The traditional high ends also mean it can catch a bit of wind now and again. Small price to pay !

NS

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This was my first boat;
P4200064copy1derwent.jpg

P4200063copyderwent2.jpg

Old Town Discovery 158 a great boat but just too heavy for me, off the water, 80lbs and desperate to be right way up!

Then I came across the Old Town Pack, 12 feet long and about 32lbs;
P4130070copy-1stpack.jpg

P4130071copy-pack2nd.jpg

The Pack is a bit slower and obviously a solo boat but it allows me to grab the boat, car top it and away, in no time, without struggling to get the thing on the car.

The Discovery has passed on to another paddler now and I'm looking at replacing it, with something considerably lighter and quicker. I'll be keeping the Pack, even when I do replace the Disco, its just so easy to use;)

Oh just to be clear: I have had my Tilley hat for at least 10 years! so I'm not trying to impersonate Ray Mears:rolleyes:

Rather I think; He must have spotted me wearing mine and thought; 'Hmm, got to get me a proper hat':D

cheers
R.B.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Well since we show our canoes. Here are some of my prospectors, I finished them this summer:
canoes.jpg

I'm a big fan of Bill Mason, he explains much better then I could why a prospector is a good canoe..

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
My Cronje, a flatwater speed machine:

PC300274.jpg

and my trusty all rounder, the Prospector:

IMGP1867.jpg

P6150270.jpg

I love the look of the wood canvas canoes, and would love to have a go in one, but they're no good for a careless brute like me.

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Bushcraft + Canoeing = heaven on earth. Here's one of mine

NS

P1010180.jpg

I keep returning to this pic, it's a fantastic looking canoe.

If I had somewhere to store it and if I wasn't too idle to do the maintenance I'd have one like a shot. But since I haven't and I am, I'll keep on sneaking a peak at the photo of yours.

Cheers, Michael.

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
Ive used an open canoe for years but last year I bought a touring kayak.Found it a lot easier to use especially if windy(weather not personal).my Kayak has 2 large water tight hatches with good storage and is very comfortable for distances 20mile+.Travelling light camping is not a problem although cannot carry the volume the open could.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
I have done quite a bit of canoing and kayaking over the years, I finally have got round to purchacing my first open canoe picking it up next week; I can't wait. Planning plenty of trips for 2010 . Will have to post some pics when she arrives. Will be asking loads of questions and advice on here and SOTP from you more experienced paddlers.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Canoeing and kayaking is the way to travel. I currently own 2 kayaks and an open canoe and have more or less used them all in my bushcraft activities , here is a pic of my open boat and one of my kayaks in action.:)

P8140604.jpg

P7040589-1.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
I keep returning to this pic, it's a fantastic looking canoe.

If I had somewhere to store it and if I wasn't too idle to do the maintenance I'd have one like a shot. But since I haven't and I am, I'll keep on sneaking a peak at the photo of yours.

Cheers, Michael.

Thanks. I'm happy that my boat is improving someone else's day ! Actually maintenance is just a wipe over with boiled linseed once a year, unless you rip the canvas of course, then it's a bigger job.

NS

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
Nice pictures, nice boats, i own a coleman ram X 13 feet canoe, it is a sturdy boat, witch can take a good abuse , it can take two persons, but it's doing a good job paddled by one alone also, best is then to take some heavy luggage.
i am planning to do some overnight trips would take two waterproof duffelbags with me for clothing and sleeping gear, life vest, and the usual camping gear.
I take with me the same things as when hiking, just make it a bit nautic, stainless steel knife, hat, more water then i usually carry, food and a coleman stove.
I find bushcraft and canoeing go together very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE