Red sky at night...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
With day time temperatures like early Summer and it being over a week since I was last bedded down under the stars somewhere, I decided on an overnight on the Downland close to where I live.

The trick this time was to hop on a train and travel along the coast a distance, then walk home.

Wonder where all the Zombies crowding the platform and poking their Internet telephones are?
Ah! it's nearly 09.30, they're all safely locked away in offices....

Starts with a fairly stiff climb (a trudge really)... well, it is when you're a Wrinkly with 30+ lb on your back..
The view from the top looking down on the river valley is the reward.

It's not warm, it's hot. I'm in a 'T' shirt and this strange shadowy figure follows me every step of the way.

There's no water up here, but other things are provided, such as Compass direction...The prevalent wind is from the South-West.. I might know where North-East is....:D

I understand that these rectangular Tumuli are much older than the more common round ones.

I've often slept by these burial places of the ancient Flint working people, just a personal thing, but I find it strangely comforting on a clear starlit night.

The Gorse is golden and smells of Summer in the hot sun.

I asked the Lady in the local sewing shop to put a double ended zip in my Bivvy bag. I only use it under a Tarp or sometimes in the tent when the weather is really cold, adds an extra layer. I wasn't too sure that she had beefed up the bottom of the opening enough, so I stuck a piece of Sniper Tape over her stitches there.
When I'm wriggling about like a demented Caterpillar under the Tarp I thought the stitches might need a bit of back-up...:D

The heat has gone out of the sun and the shadows are lengthening and this looks well sheltered, if the wind gets up. Expecting a cold night because of the clear skies and it's Jul...February still..:D

Tarp and two walking poles...Bungy cord to nearby Elder bushes to give extra height.

Grub time and use up some more of that heavyweight water!!! I wonder where the Shadow man is sleeping tonight? :D

Red sky at night...It's cold now and I can hear a Fox calling across the valley. Good hunting Brother...

Early morning view of the distant coast. Looks like day 2 will be nice too...

Ready to go...No-one was here...:biggrin:

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What does it smell of in the morning? The surrounding veg?
We see a lot of big, non-resident hunting camps here. They leave nothing but bent grass. Not a toothpick.
Always admire people like you and them.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" What does it smell of in the morning? The surrounding veg? "

The wind was from the South-East which meant where I was the smell of the Downland was strongest. In some places the Farmers had been out breaking up the rough ploughed ground with Harrows, ready for Spring planting and the smell of new turned soil was noticeable. If the wind is from the South-West the smell of the sea seems to take over. Unless you are close to the big patches of Gorse, then the air is filled with their sweet distinctive smell..

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Really enjoyed that account. Hope we have a long Spring to enjoy this year. It’s all beginning to emerge again for another year.

This seemed like the right place to show a ‘Red sky at night’ Sunset view of The Channel from Hove, towards the Isle of Wight. Taken a couple of evenings ago.

055f1a1df411e93e89a76cc0069ad5a4.jpg

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees”

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Nice writeup, and good amount of images too. Were you in the sun in the morning or was your pitch in the shade? After once pitching to look at a lovely sunset but being freezing in the morning waiting for the sun to rise above the trees, I've favoured setting a site to get the sun in the morning.

I'll share a picture too... Last night took the kids to the park, getting dark here about 6.00. It looked darker while taking the picture but somehow the image actually looks quite light and not as red - just taken from my crappy phone :)

10XXdT5.jpg

The only people on the beach were son 2 and daughter. Son 1 at the park behind the camera. Caravan park to the left, town to the right about 10m car ride.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" I've favoured setting a site to get the sun in the morning."

Yes, I'm definitely with you there mousey, it's nice to get that early warmth and the Tarp drying off a bit while the first brew is on. That's my usual tactic too.
On that occasion I went for the shelter of the bushes as the wind had developed an Easterly bite to it and the sunshine trap for the morning meant being exposed all night. If it had been my tent I would have gone for a morning sun position, but I find the Tarp much colder, even rigged back to the wind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE