Canoes & Kayaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Anybody else here use a canoe or a kayak to get to places less frequented ? I find it's easier to find quiet wooded places if I go out on a river than if I go walking.

Here's some photos of mine:
The double for touring :

Klepper&

DSC00047-1.jpg

DSC00048-1.jpg

The camm'd up one is for wildlife watching/hunting/fishing.

DSC00024.jpg

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There are many canoe owning members here and I for one have found them great for adventurous "camping" and have used a canoe to explore places as far apart as The Spey, Loch Morar and Loch Nevis, The Wye and Severn, the Tivy and the Daugleddau, the Adriatic and the Orange River in South Africa!
A better match of interests cannot be found than - Bushcraft and Canoeing!
I am trying to foster the love of paddling amongst local Bushy types and the love of Bushyness amongst local paddlers!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I like river kayaking, never been too interested in sea kayaking, the fish are far to big! :p

I'd love to go on a big river trip with someone else in a canadian, would be great fun!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've recently got myself a solo canoe for the purpose of exploring and camping mainly in Scotland and the Lake District (shh).

Mine's the little Pack

DSC00991.jpg

Love the stealth boat btw

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've recently got myself a solo canoe for the purpose of exploring and camping mainly in Scotland and the Lake District (shh).

Love the stealth boat btw

Me and my dad went round one of the Lakes a couple of years ago, we went up onto one of the islands in the middle of the lake and made a cardiac casserole for lunch (1x tin of baby new potatoes 1xtin of evaporated milk 1xtin of corned beef all in the same pot heated over a camp stove) was really nice there. was so hot I rolled down my wetsuit into trousers and just wore a rash vest and was toasty.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
I do like kleppers and other such folders., I've been canoooin a few years now there is IMO no better way of relaxing and forgetting your stresses and yes I find it the easiest way to get to those out of the way little spots.

Heres mine (not a folder)
P1000847.jpg

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
A better match of interests cannot be found than - Bushcraft and Canoeing!

I'll second that John, here's my new pride and joy! i've been saving for what seems an age but finally a canoe i can carry on my own.:D
p1010299.jpg

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i have beek a kayaker for a great many years. but of the small and gnarly variety of kayaks. i love canadian canoes, but as i dont own a car or similar to transport one, plus my camp kit, i cannot splash out on one. i agree that it is a perfect mate for bushcraft in the right location though.
my current vehicle is going to be a bicycle and trailer. should be able to lug enough kit with that to keep me on the go a while. shame am stuck to the roads though.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
I would LOVE to get a Klepper and explore local rivers - even SWMBO is up for it. I'm yet to find one second hand...any ideas, anyone?

Well, if you're ever up in East Anglia, give me call. I'm more than happy to take out those who are interested in trying or already know they like kayaking but don't have a boat.

That goes for anyone else ! With the two boats I can manage 3 people in total. More if it's a lake paddle.

Dave

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
That goes for me to dave,ive 2 boats and dont mind lending my spare out if anyone fancys a paddle with me in cent scotland.
Soloman.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
years ago I had a Folbot that was like the model they now call the Greenland II. 17 ft., open cockpit. It held a ton of gear plus two people. It was so stable it was unbelievable. Both people in it could lean as far as they could to the side and it would barely tip. It was also very fast.

I used to take it down various rivers and was always amazed at how much wildlife you can see from one. Apparently the animals just don't equate something large, slowly floating down a river, with humans and more or less ignore you.

In a bout of apparent insanity, I let a friend talk me out of it and I sold it to him. Dumbest thing I ever did. I later replaced it with a 16 ft. canoe. Heavier, slower, and WAY less stable. (this was a high dollar canoe, not some cheapo piece of junk.) As far as I'm concerned, there is no comparison - - the kayak wins hands down. Just remember I'm comparing an EXPEDITION type kayak to a similar sized canoe. I have no experience with the smaller white water kayaks, and am not addressing them.

Canoes and kayaks will both get you to remote places quickly and easily. You will arrive much less tired, even accounting for the paddling. You will see lots of wildlife.

One thing I have observed about river paddling is that many (most?) rivers are quite a few meters below the surrounding land. So, as you travel along, even in built up areas, You don't often see any buildings, people, or man made things. Even though it may be very near by you "appear" to be alone in a wilderness area. Oftentimes the only clue that your not,is that you can hear traffic noises.

kayaks/canoes and bushcraft go together like ham and eggs. or should I say bangers & mash?

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Here is a photo of 1 of our 4 canoes. This being the solo flatwater boat. Perfect for quiet escapes.

Can someone explain the absence of the photos? Used the image insert button, and poof, nothing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE