Canoe / crooked knife blades?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've just sent a e to the Eggington Group in Sheffield to enquire about blades for the crooked knife they sell.

http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/brands/george-wostenholm/trade-knives/kyack-shaping-knife.html

Many years ago I talked them into letting me have two unfinished blades, one of which I handled and have used a fair bit since, despite a fear of its sharpness and the whole pulling it towards yourself bit I've never quite kicked. Anyroad, I'm not really set up for organising a group buy, hell I don't even have a credit card or income, being a kept man, but if I get some positive feed back from the company would anyone be interested in running with it? Truth be said the one I've kept and handled will probably last me out as I don't actually make canoes etc.

i've asked if they could supply bare blades but, if I get any reply at all they may turnaround and say just finished knives.

My apologies if this has been done before recently.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks just had a reply from the nice chap at Eggingtons

the people who handled them for them no longer do such but

"I believe that we do hold stocks of the blades only in right and left handed versions. Approximately how many would you be interested in buying?"

I've no idea of the price but for a bare blade I can't imagine them being a vast amount? Could we have a quick show of hands (please ask those who you think would be interested and may not read this thread). So I can get back to the guy as soon as possible.

I'll try and find out a price.

ATB

Tom

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Bit difficult when there is no idea of the blade shape. Any chance you could photograph the blade you have, from a couple of angles?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Are these like mocotaugan?
m_blades.jpg

I'd be up for one at the right price.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent point. Ill do a pic from edge on when I can. Here's one I just did that's lready in photobucket before I posted off the spare blade off to Canada. The blade on mine protrudes six inches from the handle.

imagejpg1_zpsc0a214d0.jpg

More info as I get it.

A bit more from the reply I got.

"We made this for an agent in Canada who sold to native Canadians and North Americans They use the knife to shape their traditional kayaks."

atb

tom

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Excellent point. Ill do a pic from edge on when I can. Here's one I just did that's lready in photobucket before I posted off the spare blade off to Canada. The blade on mine protrudes six inches from the handle.

imagejpg1_zpsc0a214d0.jpg

More info as I get it.

A bit more from the reply I got.

"We made this for an agent in Canada who sold to native Canadians and North Americans They use the knife to shape their traditional kayaks."

atb

tom

So it's not curved at all? Not sure I could find a use for that that my mocotaugan doesn't already cover. Would still be interested in a price though.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, much more of a one handed drawknife, not for doing bowls and such. There's a slight curve to the end.
here's some interesting stuff, refers to the origin of this firms product.

http://thewoodslife.com/?p=1280

and a fairly crap pic of the blades shape edge on

image.jpg1_zps2pxawv1x.jpg

More if I can get a price out of them.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Yup I managed to pick up a excellent German butchers mail glove that goes half way up my arm, that increased my confidence! I mainly use mine for roughing out spoons, ladles and other handled green wood projects.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hi
The spare blade in post #5 is sitting on my work bench! It arrived with a bevel of about 20 degrees.
I'm taking that down to 12 degrees then working on a birch wood paddle.
I've got the 12 degree bevel roughed in, just need to refine that to "carving sharp."
I'll see how that goes, possibly 15 degrees would be better.
All of my other crooked knives (14?) are 12.

I would seriously consider buying a left hand blade, as I am accustomed to carving with a knife in each hand.

Centuries ago, those knives were traded to the birch bark building cultures of eastern North America.
They built and repaired such things as canoes & paddles, pack boards and spears. Some dish carving
but most of what they needed as spoons, cups and bowls were made from birch bark.

Much softer than UK birch bark with large panels blemish free.
There are still makers of birch bark canoes. 5 or 6 kilopounds might get you there.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I began to investigate the popularity and versatility of Pacific Northwest crooked knives, about 8 years ago.
Handle shapes and sizes, elbow and D adzes have followed. Much more useful that I had originally imagined.

I will be the first to agree that there is an element of hazard when carving with them. Most distinctive
semicircular cuts in my chest and my shirts. I am now sporting a very heavy canvas apron/chest protector
which has saved a few more shirts.

The mocotaugan blade in Post #5 is something else again. Something that I am totally unfamiliar with.
To begin with, it's twice the size that I expected. But for the purposes intended, it is a planer knife,
not a crooked knife for the hollowing out of cavities such as spoons and Kuksa.

As you all know, the sweeps of the blades make them useful for different carving purposes such as
the Mora #162, #163 and #164 "spoon knives", Karlsson, Neeman and others over your way make them.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The length of it makes it a very different beast to european spoon knives. I can see it being used for planing long lengths, like we'd use a draw knife. Can see how it is dangerous to use if you tried using it like a short crook knife.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not heard back from him about a price yet. Will give him today and chase him up tomorrow.

Too busy to be honest, just took delivery of my shiny new Ray Iles 8 inch draw knife and premium froe. At the mo I'm giving the beech handles a few hours in warm boiled linseed ( using a pair of ovaltine mixers and a length of pipe with a turned to fit cork hammered in and a wooden spoon to stop the froe handle bobbing up. :-(D)

While the oils soaking in ill start on making some leather sheaths/ blade covers for them and a few other bits.

More on the blades when I have something.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I've heard back from them and they want £18 including VAT for each blade which is too steep for my blood. If anyone else wants run with it PM me and I'll pass on what they sent me.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE