Can you non-stick your own pans?

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Toddy said:
The reason I say this is because any pot can have the inside base kind of non stuck by using an insert piece of the silicon sheets used to non stick baking trays. Cut to fit neatly this can be used to fry eggs, bacon, sausage, fritatta, pancakes, etc. without them glueing themselves to the bottom of the pot

Genius.........!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The reason I say this is because any pot can have the inside base kind of non stuck by using an insert piece of the silicon sheets used to non stick baking trays. Cut to fit neatly this can be used to fry eggs, bacon, sausage, fritatta, pancakes, etc. without them glueing themselves to the bottom of the pot..........and you get enough for a camping set from one sheet. Poundland were selling them last time I looked, as were the cook shops but at eight times the price:rolleyes:
Works on aluminium, titanium, copper, stainless steel and cast iron

Excellent idea, but do you mean the black coloured sheets, which are 'teflon' coated, or the ordinary siliconised paper used for lining cake tins?

I suspect you meant the teflon sheets, which I would think would work well. Don't try sticking it though, teflon(ptfe) is (or was) impossible to stick (that's why it's used on non-stick items!) and has no known solvent.

Jim

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a price though :eek:

Trust me, Poundland have them for a quid, it's sort of brown paper coloured (burnt biscuit ?) and it cuts with a pair of ordinary scissors.

Just gone and found an unopened pack of it in the cupboard.

It is in a blue and yellow pack and it is:
Kitchen Corner, non-stick Cooking Liner. "Cook without fats or oil for a much healthier diet!......oven, grilling, baking , microwave, roasting. 100% non-stick, re-usable, easy to clean, easily cut to shape. 25 x 33cms. The liner is for all cookers and overs, gas and electricity "

And I got it wrong :eek: it's PTFE, sorry. good for up to 250oC

I've used it in my aluminium camping pans to stop things sticking to the bottom, eggs, scrambled with cheese and 'fried' ones too, veggieburgers, tattie scones, tomatoes and mushrooms, all no bother and it just washes clean with the dishes or wipes with a bit of kitchen towel.

Wonder if the silicon one would be any better? heck of a price difference though :dunno:,

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I dunno if you can get them cheaper elsewhere, that was just the first search result for illustrative purposes.

I'm not entirely sure what the practical differences are, but they're the ones favoured by professionals. I'd guess that they're more durable, and I think they're stable to higher temperatures. I have an ex-pastry-chef mate who swears by 'em.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
Upgrade your pans to Trangia's UL HA (Ultralight Hard Anodised) which is non-stick and won't be scratched by using a metal utensil/spoon.

Optimus sell HA pans but may not be compatible with the rest of your Trangia cookset.

The Primus Etapower pans are also worth looking at, they have a titanium non-stick inner-surface.

Do you know if you can cook on open fires using these pots? The reason I ask is I have a set of Outwell non stick pans http://www.outwell.dk/Furniture.aspx?b=Outwell&bid=2&lid=1&l=en-GB&ProductId=1065&pid=9&CatId=300 but the blue paint is starting to bubble up from the intense heat if forgotten about for any length of time! They are very good pans just not designed for fires. Do these Trangia's have a paint coating on the outside or does anyone know of a non stick pan for open fire use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE