Can you non-stick your own pans?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I debated whether to put this in the kit chatter or here but seeing as I would be doing it myself I put it here :eek:

Is is possible to non-stick pans at home? I have the Swedish army trangia and would like to make both pans non-stick.

Thanks for any info :)

Asa.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Depends on the material... Properly seasoned cast iron is far more "non-stick" than any Teflon coating - but it weighs a blummin' ton. Carbon steel can also be seasoned similarly, but I'm not sure about stainless, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work at all with aluminium.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
get them teflon coated. john bull got aload og gen army mess tins done years ago so there has to be companies tht do it. I'll have a search

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dump the army set and get a proper Trangia, round pots are easier to stir well and prevent sticking. I would suggest getting a non stick Trangia frying pan if you get a real Trangia though, ten quid well spent.

Take a look at this, yes, more expensive, but a better system all round than the army setup, nothing to stop you fitting bales to the pots if you want to hang them over a fire

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=2791

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To a large extent it depends on 'why' you want to non stick the pot.......i.e. what are you thinking of cooking that will stick ?

The reason I say this is because any pot can have the inside base kind of non stuck by using an insert piece of the silicon sheets used to non stick baking trays. Cut to fit neatly this can be used to fry eggs, bacon, sausage, fritatta, pancakes, etc. without them glueing themselves to the bottom of the pot..........and you get enough for a camping set from one sheet. Poundland were selling them last time I looked, as were the cook shops but at eight times the price:rolleyes:
Works on aluminium, titanium, copper, stainless steel and cast iron :D

It's also very good at stopping bannocks sticking to the bottom and sides of the pot used to 'bake' it.

Not so useful for soups and stews though.

cheers,
Toddy

H

He' s left the building

any other tips for non sticking a trang set?

Upgrade your pans to Trangia's UL HA (Ultralight Hard Anodised) which is non-stick and won't be scratched by using a metal utensil/spoon.

Optimus sell HA pans but may not be compatible with the rest of your Trangia cookset.

The Primus Etapower pans are also worth looking at, they have a titanium non-stick inner-surface.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im gessing your army trangia is aluminium because i have the stainles steel vertion and its prety much inposable to scrach and iv never had any problems sticking. maby steer clear of aluminium? either get the stainless army or i think you can get the civvy trangia in titainium which would be even tougher.

pete

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
A general rule, to stop food from sticking to a pot or pan, is to get the pan as hot as you can get it, then add your food. Also, use some form of fat that does not burn or evaporate.
For boiling things, i guess stirring would be an idea. Other than that, i wouldn`t know.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i reckon seasoning would work on a stainless steel army trangia set.
in regards to the civvy trangia set in titanium, good luck on finding one as they stopped making them along with the duossal sets.
trangia now make an ultralightweight hard anodized aluminium set as their top of the range storm cooker as boops has suggested.
if your still looking for a small set have you considered the mini trangia http://www.trangia.se/english/2924.mini_trangia.html its only around £20- £25 and i think you can put a bail on the pot using some brake cables.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I do have a civvy trangia , but I prefer the SA version, and I had considered the mini trangia but I just find the military one is more suitable to what I need as I will sometimes need to cook for two which would be easier on the SAT because of having two saucepans than can be used as frying pans as well rather than just a frying pan to be used as a frying pan.

Thanks for the replies, yes I think this one is aluminium and I will look into the seasoning in the first post, olive oil sounds a lot more 16yr-old-budget friendly than Teflon :p

The silicon coating sounds like a good idea, I'd just be worried about forgetting it :eek:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Liberally cover all the insides in olive oil or vegetable oil, bake in a very high oven, rub over with kitchen roll. repeat about 3 times, it should season them nicely!

At least that works for me

Prod

How long would you keep them in the oven for as i might try it with my SA trangia pots ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE