Can you identify?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I spotted a few bushes today that were as bare as you like, stereotypical winter twig like things but they had what looked like white berries on them, looked like little round balls of snow...does anyone know what they are?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kim was it in a garden or some such?

There is a ornamental tree from china called Josephs rock or something - I forget the full name - this has ash like leaves and white berries.

I dont know if its of use but i did eat the berries once with no ill effects - but of course I wouldnt recommend this without 100% ID.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Will not be eating them any time soon! Too much chocolate to get through.. :eek:): ...they are in some wooded/park areas around me.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well I really cant think of any other wild white berries at the moment - I might have to have a look in my tree bible!!

Anyway stick to chocolate you cant go wrong!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
If they're still around next week I'll pick one to see if they're hard/soft etc. Won't have a chance to before then.

jakunen

Native
Very much doubt it'd be mistletoe.

Most probably a snowberry, maybe a waxberry, may even be an escapee skimmia. Or if it's more treelike that bush, it may well be one of the eastern rowans, quite a few of those from China and Tibet have whote berries. If you can post a pic Kim, I should be able to ID it for you (I used to have my own garden company and still have all my books).

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
My mum has some on her small holding. Sounds like Snowberry to me, quite a bushy plant that grows like mad.

This time of year I have seen them with no leaves and just berries, and some years with a few leaves hanging on.

I dont think that they are eatable, or she would be eating them. (Everything that is edible there has been used through 2 wars - hazel, medlars, walnuts, mushrooms etc, etc, etc)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I saw it in Food for Free Richard Mabey.
I have tried it. Edible but little taste.

Following link to plant database........

link here

Fruit - raw or cooked[2, 105, 161]. An insipid flavour, it is best if cooked[177]. The fruit is rather boring[K]. The fruit is about 15mm in diameter[200]. See the notes at top of page regarding possible toxicity

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Does it look like this
WSY0035979_5000.jpg

this is Sorbus cashmiriana common name Kashmir rowan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE