Can you identify this parka?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
...that Ray is wearing here...

parka.jpg

Looks as though it might be something made specially for him. I'm planning a trip somewhere very cold next year, and this looks just the ticket.

Any ideas?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Martyn - items like that Ray generally borrows (the bbc pay for their hire) however you can have them made.

Try getting a copy of a book called The winter wilderness companion by G Conover - it has a list of suppliers as well as a pattern if you want to make it yourself.

Alternatively Ventile is the thing you want - Snowsled supply the Antarctic survey and should see you right.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
After several attempts I still cannot get the picture of the parka to display, but judging from your comments and Gary's reply I am guessing that it's the one Ray wears on the front of the first "Extreme Survival" DVD. Assuming that to be the case, I don't think that it's borrowed or hired. That DVD was filmed four or five years ago and Ray wore the same anorak in Lapland last month, no BBC in sight.

My cheaper option was a Swedish Army Arctic Smock, sixteen quid from a surplus store in Stoke. It lacks the chest pouch and fur trim but I'm planning to add those because it was otherwise excellent. Empire Canvas make a good one too - try www.duluthpack.com for a picture - and also the mittens and blanket shirt to go with it. One suggestion: whatever you go for, make certain that it is at least a full size larger than you think you need. The Swedish smock has ample room, not so much "one size fits all" as "one size fits all simultaneously."

Of course, if the picture isn't of that top then, um, ignore everything I just said.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks Gary, I'll try and track that book down.

Thanks Jack (site was offline for a little while, you should see the pic now), yeah, that's the parka I meant. Would that store in Stoke be "!The Quatermasters Store" in Picadilly, Hanley?

I also like the look of that dulluth pack smock - that's got possibilies too. Thanks.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Sorry, should have mentioned the shop name considering you only live up the road.

Yes, it was QMS (as I believe the sign now says, in a tragic KFC sort of way). I went in for a pair of old army boots to use when skiing and spotted the smock on a rack. They also had the same thing in black, which is probably not such a good idea for very cold conditions.

Mind you, they had a really pants selection of boots.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
bigjackbrass said:
My cheaper option was a Swedish Army Arctic Smock, sixteen quid from a surplus store in Stoke. It lacks the chest pouch and fur trim but I'm planning to add those because it was otherwise excellent. Empire Canvas make a good one too - try www.duluthpack.com for a picture - and also the mittens and blanket shirt to go with it. One suggestion: whatever you go for, make certain that it is at least a full size larger than you think you need. The Swedish smock has ample room, not so much "one size fits all" as "one size fits all simultaneously."

Of course, if the picture isn't of that top then, um, ignore everything I just said.

Was it this one you got?

M90%20VÄRMEJACKAliten.JPG

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Why dont you send Ray Mears an email asking the origin of this garment.
I have found the staff there very helpful with the many questions that I have asked. :p

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
It's not hired or borrowed. It's part of Ray's own kit. He had it in Lappland last year and I asked him about it. He had it made, in the UK, to his design. It's basically a double-layered Ventile if I remember correctly.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Viking, the smock I bought was an overhead anorak design in off-white cotton, rather than having a full front opening. There are two large bellows pockets low on the front, fastened with three buttons on each. I guessed it was Swedish due to the blue crowns stamped inside, confirmed when Lars Falt commented on it. A very simple garment but certainly adequate to my needs.

As for Ray's, though... I have smock-envy.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
bigjackbrass said:
Viking, the smock I bought was an overhead anorak design in off-white cotton, rather than having a full front opening. There are two large bellows pockets low on the front, fastened with three buttons on each. I guessed it was Swedish due to the blue crowns stamped inside, confirmed when Lars Falt commented on it. A very simple garment but certainly adequate to my needs.

As for Ray's, though... I have smock-envy.

Then I know wich you mean, it´s an old winter camouflage

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Forgot to suggest www.norrona.com as a source, too. They have a very nice looking Arctic anorak in their catalogue called, with typical Scandinavian clarity, the Arktis Anorakk. I can't give you any more details from the catalogue because I don't read Norwegian, but I think the website has an English version.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks Jack, it looks to have definite possibilities...

1209_stor.jpg

Arctic scenery is imprinted on those who have opened themselves up to it. Regardless of whether it is the light, the eternity of the cold or quick changes in weather and scenery - the polar explorer yearns to return. Norrøna Arktis clothing in pure cotton is the touring classic for the high mountains and other kinds of cold outdoor activities. It is clothing you will get more and more fond of the more it is used. Norrøna's special cotton material stops the wind and snow, but allows body moisture to escape - which would otherwise cool down the body. This is clothing which for generations has made it possible to survive the cold, wind and snow.

For 25 years Norrøna has been developing and improving our exclusive highly windproof and breathable Arktis Cotton material. It is a combination of traditional and modern weaving techniques and finishing. Designed for use in extreme winter weather.

That one to add to the list for sure. :-D

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Hi guys !
Jumping in with both feet, as this is my first post here on this forum (been lurking a while though) !
Martyn, you can also get a fur liner (made of wolf fur I think) for the Norrøna anorak. I bought my first Norrøna anorak in 1991 when I first came to Norway. However since 1997 I have been using the "Norrøna Arktis Anojakke", which is open with a full length zip in front (I bought the Ray Mears DVDs last year, and noticed that Ray used the same jacket on one of the DVDs – I think it was the New Zealand episode).
The Anojakke is the best outdoor jacket that I have ever had ! I have used it in winter at -28 degrees Celcius and full storm on the Hardangervidda in Telemark, Norway, to +15 degrees C. at Giants Castle in the Drakensberg in South Africa (early winter time). I even use it in the South African lowveld during early morning and evenings in winter when I’m guiding there.
When skiing in the mountains you do not want to get too wet by perspiration or you will freeze too much when having a break or stop to make camp. I find that you can regulate your bodytemperature in a much better way with the Anojakke by opening the full length zipper in front, than is possible with the anorak. The anorak can only be opened to a certain extent, which is ok for camp use or travelling in the Artic forest, but when you’re going up and down in the mountains and get all sweaty, I prefer the Anojacket.
The Anojacket also has more and better pockets than the Norrøna anorak.

The Norrøna website is available in english - go to www.norrona.no/web/homepage.nsf/web/index.html and choose language.

GJ

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bigjackbrass said:

Jack, just bought two Sweedish Arctic Smocks from the same place. One was seventeen quid (almost new) and the other was a tenner (a bit battered and bruised, but servicable). I've used the cheap one as a doner, to add handwarmer pockets to the front and cannibalised the waist drawcord to use on the newer one, which didn't have one for some reason ...I've added a drawcord to the hem as well. I'm also adding velcro cuff fasteners to replace the button cuff. I'm also adding waxed elbow patches and shoulder/back patches. Oh, and I used the crotch strap of the cheap one, as a volume reducer for the insanely large hood.

Then I'm gonna dye it, maybe a slate colour, or dark grey and waterproof it. Should be cool for £27 quid and some cotton. :wink: :-D

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I own the Empire Canvas Anorak. It is extremely well made, but I made some changes. Velcro will clog up in snow. The wrist gauntlets are so equipped. I simply removed the velcro and substituted large butttons. If you want a fur ruff, make it detachable. There are seasons when it isn't necessary. You will also need an Assomption sash to tie up the middle for ultimate warmth. The Conovers excellent book suggests stashing mittens on it connected with a large blanket pin. Nonsence! Mittens are properly worn with a long connecting lanyard that runs from sleeve to sleeve. If you remove a mitten for any reason it merely flops free. Empire Canvas are excellent folks to deal with, though Getting my order from Southern California, in the summer met with the same suprise as the muckluc people! Hey, with global warming the idea of a glacier scraping southward down the freeway had me worried. Oh, neck knives were made or this anorak.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE