Can you identify this parka?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
One of the advantages of hooking the mittens to the sash is to get them out of the way. During vigorous exercise such as snowshoeing, I often find the mittens too warm to wear but I don't want them flopping around about my arms. The same is true for any activity where I use my hands a lot but it is too warm for mittens. I often will slip on a pair of light wool or poly gloves while active and when I stop or the temps have really dropped, my mittens are handy and the wool gloves stash easily in a pocket.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
There's no ruff on the Sweedish Army Arctic Smock though Chris, and the hood is absolutely huge. Much bigger than anything I've ever seen on a civillian garment. I think it's like viking says, it's designed to go over a helmet - a damned big one too, hence the "horns" jibe. :wink:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I havent finalised it yet boaty, I'm 40 next summer and I fancied doing something a bit unusual (to help ofeset the pain) - I was thinking a 3 or 4 week trip somewhere inside (or at least close to) the arctic circle, Canada, Alaska, Greenland, nothing extreme though. I'm leaning towards the nothern parts of Scandinavia, maybe Hammerfest, Norway would provide a more interesting trip, but I think I'd stand a better chance of getting near the ice cap from Nunavut, Canada or Barrow, Alaska - go do a bit of whale watching. It's all undecided yet, I've got about 18 months to plan it.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
boaty said:
Blissful - a retreat from the opressive heat of summer :cool:

Looking forward to the trip report!
I'll be taking plenty of pics for sure. I figure it's the only chance I'll get to go somewhere like that. It'll probably cost me about £4k for both of us, maybe more and I dont think I'm ever gonna persuade the missus to spend that kind of denero on somewhere cold ever again. But it's my 40th, so I get to choose. There's a limit on what she'll do though, so if it's too extreme, I'm on me own. :-D

A

Andy P

So what was the outcome of this thread? Did anyone have a pattern or source for this smock. I live in Mongolia, and have a few winter excursions to the countryside planned, so I want to get a smock, pants and wolf skin liners made up locally. Locals wear a sheepskin del – which is a long robe with sash at the waist – but for hunting and dog sledding I would prefer smock and over trousers. Any design pattern or web links would be appreciated. Minus 38 last night, currently a balmy -24C. :chill:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
You will also need an Assomption sash to tie up the middle for ultimate warmth.

Hi Chris,
I was reading about the sash too in the Winter Wilderness Companion and wondered how it could help me increase the warmth. When i tried to sash up the middle of my body I got much colder on my kidney area. What do I do wrong? I have the feeling if I compress the middle area I have less air space between the layers to warm up and start freezing in the area of the sash. But I have to say that I used a belt instead of a sash could that be the problem?

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Andy P said:
So what was the outcome of this thread? Did anyone have a pattern or source for this smock. I live in Mongolia, and have a few winter excursions to the countryside planned, so I want to get a smock, pants and wolf skin liners made up locally. Locals wear a sheepskin del – which is a long robe with sash at the waist – but for hunting and dog sledding I would prefer smock and over trousers. Any design pattern or web links would be appreciated. Minus 38 last night, currently a balmy -24C. :chill:

I don't have a scanner but if none here can scan you in the pattern I could try to shoot a picture with my digital camera from the book.

cheers
Abbe

:chill:

A

Andy P

If anyone could send / post a scan of the smock pattern in 'the winter wilderness companion' that would be very helpful in keeping me warm. Takes a while for books from Amazon to get to Ulaanbaatar. Thanks :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE