Can you buy Boil in the bag bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
I got mine from Sainsburys.
After cooking a meal I have used the water to make a brew but found that the water had a strange taste, has anybody else noticed this?

Paul

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
P@ul said:
I got mine from Sainsburys.
After cooking a meal I have used the water to make a brew but found that the water had a strange taste, has anybody else noticed this?

Paul
Did the stuff inside the bag have the same taste. I hope not :rolleyes:

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the replies.

The ones from Lakeland, anyone used them before? Just that 50 for £3.25 seems cheap, are they just more ziploc style and perhaps not going to be up to being stuck out over a fire in a swedish mess tin.. Just I tried ziploc bags before and ended up melting bag to the upper inside of the mess tin.

Anything more tin-foil like around? Or less meltable?

Cheers

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I fancy one of those machines you can get that vacs the bags and then heat seals them shut.

You can make up your own meals, stick it in the bag then vac it and boil in the bag when you're out.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
We use ziploc style bags for our backcountry cookery, although we don't actually boil the bags per se; We have our food in the bag and add boiling water, allow it to reconstitute and (usually) enjoy. Good freezer bags are sturdy enough to withstand boiling water and if you eat straight from the bag, you don't have to do many dishes! :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
themac.

They aren't ziploc - just a plain bag. You either need to vacuum seal them or use twisters etc.

If you want heavy meal ones, you could use 8 x 10 mylar, seal with an iron and try that. I have to import mylar from the US though

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
themac said:
Thanks for the replies.

The ones from Lakeland, anyone used them before? Just that 50 for £3.25 seems cheap, are they just more ziploc style and perhaps not going to be up to being stuck out over a fire in a swedish mess tin.. Just I tried ziploc bags before and ended up melting bag to the upper inside of the mess tin.

Anything more tin-foil like around? Or less meltable?

Cheers
The ones I have used were bought at a supermarket and cost about £1 for ten. these were a reasonable size(took two tins) and are sold as baking, roasting or microwave bags. You can get the (lots!) bigger turkey bags made witht the same type of plastic, they cost about£1 for two. They look like standard butty bags, the material is more of a film than some bags but otherwise normal looking sandwich bags, the reason I have none left they were used for wrapping butties! :(

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
this thread quite interests me and i found a bit about the foil type bags the MOD use.
they are called "retort pouches" and there is quite a bit about them on the net but only it seems for mass producers, not so much home use.

if any one finds more info on a home type system i'd be interested to see whats available to.

http://www.tmec.co.uk/products.htm#STAND UP POUCH

in fact this looks like a possible solution with a reasonably cheap sealer and if they are able to seal the similar hard wearing type boil-in-bag, it could be just what your looking for.
boilinthebag.jpg

http://www.packsealer.co.uk/hand.htm

but the bags have to be bought in a large quantity (as always)
tried ringing them to see if it would work but its answer machine.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
big_swede said:
These bags seems very practical, but doesn't it take the fun out of cooking? :confused:

I love backwoods cooking and for me it's as much a bushcraft skill as any other, bannocks, cooking shellfish in embers, kebebs on a hazel shoot, ash cakes, improvising an oven, and a trout between a split stick, or stew and dumplings etc etc i really enjoy cooking outdoors, but after a long walk on a cold wet day when you just can't be faffed with cooking and just want some hot food quickly, I think they're a great idea.
I sometimes go to the oriental shop in Oxford and you can buy boil in the bag Japanese currys for about £2.20 - £3.00 - tasty and very quick with boil in the bag rice.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
lamifoil bag might do the trick, was hoping for something cheaper but

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/freshcool/foil!2526

That's a good site Red :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I love backwoods cooking and for me it's as much a bushcraft skill as any other, bannocks, cooking shellfish in embers, kebebs on a hazel shoot, ash cakes, improvising an oven, and a trout between a split stick, or stew and dumplings etc etc i really enjoy cooking outdoors, but after a long walk on a cold wet day when you just can't be faffed with cooking and just want some hot food quickly, I think they're a great idea.

Totally agree. I love backwoods cooking as well, but as I tend to carry everything I require with me, the practice of the cooking is mainly to keep my skills up for the possible times when I might one day have the opportunity, skills and confidence to gather that shellfish, catch that fish, or snare/shoot that rabbit.

Therefore, if I'm out on a trek, its pre-prepared food and maybe some bannock mix.
No way I'm lugging about fresh meat that might get warm and go off, potatoes or other veg, a ruddy great fish etc....

To me its the same as using a tarpand bivvy bag - I'd love to go out and build natural shelter and warm it with a fire, but unfortunately its not realistic.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
wot about oven roasting bags? also JML do a bag sealer which melts the plastic together, but prob wont work on the over roasting bags as they're heat resistant!
but other than that no idea, all the other links sound good, will get some, coz i think that most BIBs are rubbish.

any body got any good recipes for them? wonder if u could do BIB rice or pasta?!?
suppose u could empty cans in to them to keep weight down.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I used to go to Macro and buy large catering packs of instant Irish Stew mix. These are freeze dried mixes and very lightweight. You just put a handful in a boil-a-bag, squeeze out the air by hand and put a sarnie bag tie wrap round the top. To use, boil some water, pour in in to the mix, squidge the bag from the outside to mix it up well, reseal the top with the tie wrap and wrap a fleece jacket or sleeping bag round it to retain the heat. Five minutes later remove it, squidge it again and eat it straight from the bag. I liked the Irish Stew best, but you can get other stuff that's nice as well.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE