Can you buy Boil in the bag bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i to have used boil in the bag food and used the water after for a brew with the after taste making strong coffee helps but wont better your thirst
i have found that if you put your stew in the lid of your meths cooker (trianga army type) and boil the water under in the main billy can it works like a bainmarie heating up youe food and heating the water (after taste free) for your brew

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
These look like they are suitable for boil in the bag http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/ They are sold as pour and store bags, on the sunday offers page. I haven't used this type myself,yet, but as they are freezer and micro wave safe they should be good for boiling too, but obviously read the label first! The bonus with these over my usual type of boil in the bag is that they are freestanding and resealable.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Got some of the aldi pour and store bags and give them a try tonight, they seem to work well. They look to be made of a similar plastic to my hydration bag, can't remember the make or find it at the minute :confused: , but a little thinner. I tried it with water in a pan and it got the water in the bag to boiling with no problems. The base is sealed to make it free standing and it has a measure on the side up to a litre, but would possibly take a little more. They look an ideal size to fit the swedish trangia too. The ziplock doesn't take much to burst open is the only downside to them, but I usually just tip tins into the bags when I need them anyway. The other thing I noticed was the water stayed hot for a good while after too, left it to cool for over half an hour and it was still hot!
They are a good buy and I will probably stash a few away in my bag, they will work as emergency water containers if nothing else, never fancied the idea of using condoms for carrying water :yuck: .

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
themac.

They aren't ziploc - just a plain bag. You either need to vacuum seal them or use twisters etc.

If you want heavy meal ones, you could use 8 x 10 mylar, seal with an iron and try that. I have to import mylar from the US though

Red

Hi Red,

Sorry to breathe life into an old thread but I was after some advice. I’ve just bought a Seal-a-Meal vacuum food sealer to package dehydrated meals. It’s great, but I’m finding meals, specifically the chilli I’ve just dehydrated, which are crunchy are puncturing the bags.

Are you still using Mylar bags? If so, can they be vacuum sealed, as I’m reading conflicting reports and where do you get them? And generally, do you have any advice?

Sorry for all the questions, but you generally have all the answers :)

Andy

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
A gentle roll with a rolling pin with take off the sharp parts. Are they their own brand bags? If so that's the problem. The one's that came with my £120 machine were crap.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
A gentle roll with a rolling pin with take off the sharp parts. Are they their own brand bags? If so that's the problem. The one's that came with my £120 machine were crap.

Yep, I've done that now and resealed them, three of the four are ok, but one has gone again. I was trying to avoid chilli baby food so I don't really want to pulverise it.

I have the Seal-a-Meal bags that came with it and they seem pretty good and I think they’re a good make, but have failed. I also bought some other ones that feel cheaper and, you guessed it.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I use these to make my own ready meals

http://www.polylina.co.uk/pour&store.html

They have a flat bottom, so they are free standing and you don't need a bowl. They're about £1.20 from Tesco's. I've posted the info before and someone was concerned that the website does not recommend them for cooking in a microwave, but for re-heating food in boiling water they are completely fine and i've re-used mine a few times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE