Can someone in words of one syllable explain Ebooks to me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
.pdf ebooks are perhaps not the best option as the shape of the page and the layout of the text is fixed. there are other options .epub probably being the most popular. Additionally some ebooks are 'protected' and can only be read on certain devices, or the device they were bought to be read on.

If I'm reading a manual or a book with plenty of imagery I usually save them as .pdf's and sit my laptop on its side, flip the image ninety degrees and flick though the pages with the arrow keys.

If I'm reading something that is mostly text I usually download it in or convert it to .html (a web page) and read it in that format.

If you look here, you will find the 'Project Gutenberg' page for 'Woodcraft and Camping by George Washington Sears', there are several possible download formats, click 'HTML' to read the book in your browser or download the file of your choice.

:)

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Computers store information as strings of numbers. Sometimes very, very long strings of numbers.

If you want to store something like a book, you have to decide how to turn the book into a string of numbers. Then you have to write some computer code to do that.

Obviously then you have a string of numbers. If you give that to somebody on its own, just like that, it isn't much use to them. It's just a string of numbers.

So in addition to giving them the string of numbers, you have to tell them how the book was turned into numbers. Agriculturally speaking, I'll call that the 'format'. It also helps a lot if you write some computer code to actually turn the numbers back into the book and display it on a screen so people can see it. Then you can give them the code as well as the numbers. Adobe did something like that, for example, years ago, and the rest is history.

Lots of people have had a go at this, resulting in lots of different ways of turning the book (or whatever) into strings of numbers. Different strings of numbers for the same book. The different systems obviously have different capabilities, advantages and disadvantages etc. That's been mentioned in relation to the .pdf format for example.

So there are lots of different formats, and the code that works with one format generally won't work with a different format. You can get a bit clever with the computer code to try to prevent people making copies of it. They call it 'Digital Rights Management' or DRM. They do the same sort of thing on DVDs. Generally any DRM will eventually be defeated by hackers, and there's been a tendency for sellers to move away from that kind of thing lately.

With all the different companies in the business it's a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

My wife has a Kindle. She loves it, and has, er, literally thousands of free books for it. I can't abide the things, give me a paper copy any day.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
As simple as possible.... Get a Kindle. The price is good. The Kindle store is easy with loads of books both free and otherwise. My better halves elderly mother can use one so anybody can.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Other good thing about kindle. You can download books in any format from anywhere, then email it to your kindle email address. It gets converted to epub or whatever kindle uses for free :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Another thumbs up for the kindle. Both myself and swmbo have one and they are pretty easy to use with plenty online step by step guides.

Essentially you can download books from amazons website which you pay for or you can get them from various places for free.
Kindle use a format called mobi and does not support the popular ePub however there is a very useful program that can be downloaded for free called calibre which will convert almost any text files, including PDF, into any other text file.
This may be useful for anyone else here who uses an ereader as I have converted loads of different formats to mobi with it that I couldnt find in mobi or on amazon.

Hamster

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I've used my old Palm T3 and later TX models for years to store books on to read when I'm travelling - works brilliantly. If all I was going to do was to use it to read books, I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade, as the Palm works just fine for reading, and slips into a pocket easily when not. And with currently some 140 books on it, I've always got something to read, or re-read. And its a lot lighter - and more permanent - than hard-copy books. Not only do 6 or 7 weigh a ton, but I normally end up leaving most in my hotel room as my suitcase is too full of other junk I've bought!

However, tablets offer so much more. Internet browsing, word processing, videos and games - the list is endless. I looked at Kindle and the Nook, but for multi-use - particularly videos - they are poor. Went instead for a Galaxy tab (refurb and bought in the US off ebay- cost about 120 quid all-in.) If you don't already have an ereader, and don't want some of the other options, then both the Nook and Kindle are well worth a look. I'd recommend getting one with some sort of back-lighting though - not all of them have it.

nb - if you buy books - as I tend to do in eformat - bear in mind that there is a court case pending/going on re price-fixing of retail e-books, and the outcome is probably that the prices - which pretty much equate to a hard-copy version at the moment - will be falling shortly. Lots of free ones that have fallen out of copyright of course, but if you're following a series, you don't want to wait for 25 years!

Last edited:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Other good thing about kindle. You can download books in any format from anywhere, then email it to your kindle email address. It gets converted to epub or whatever kindle uses for free :thumbup:

You can also download a free Kindle app from Amazon.co.uk, then download loads of free books and read them on your laptop. And when your eyes are drooping, and you switch it off, it goes back to where you left it next time you switch it back on.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
You can also download a free Kindle app from Amazon.co.uk, then download loads of free books and read them on your laptop. And when your eyes are drooping, and you switch it off, it goes back to where you left it next time you switch it back on.

I use a kindle reader, kindle on phone and iPad. All are synchronized. When I put the reader down, I can pick up from same page on phone or iPad and vice verca.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ebooks are very handy. I have a kindle and its a perfect travel companion. The battery lasts ages between charges and you can store hundreds if not thousands of books on them. My wife has a two hour commute by train, five days a week and I charge the kindle every three weeks or so. The screen is crisp and very easy to read and while they are in no way a replacement for the feel, the smell of a good book, they come blooming close when away from home.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ has thousands of copyright free books to look at and download as does

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/

Many classic works relevant to this hobby and which are hard to get in paper print are there for you to enjoy.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows
will convert many formats to kindle format for your enjoyment.

I have hundreds (if not more) of books and the kindle will not replace them, but as a tool for when out and about they are hard to beat. Why be stuck with one or two books when camping when you can take a library with you. While some love the sound of nature to doze off to at night, some also like a good read before bed time, I enjoy both.

I never wanted one then my children got me one as a present, I quickly saw how good it is and its now part of my camp kit.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I prefer books but I really rate the kindle for travelling and commuting. Struggling to hold a hardback on the bus is not fun and I reckon more people on my bus use them than use books. The one thing I really hate about ebooks though is that you can't have a nosey and see what other people are reading.

Sent from my GT-I9000 (ICS Mod) using Tapatalk 2

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Libraries also lend out e-books.

You don't need to go into the library, you just use an app (Overdrive media comes pre-installed on many Android phones)

Go to browse libraries, find your local library (prob just one listed for your council). You usually need a reader card number and pin to check out the books.

It's fantastic. Just wish more books were available.

jigsaw

Jul 25, 2009
ireland
anyone interested in swaping a good hunting knife for a brand new still in the box kindle.I was given it from my sister as a pressie but ive never read book other that dogs/hunting books.I will never use it.Not one book on this NEW kindle.I could do with a nice knife thought,lol

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
recently got a kindle think its bloomin great. I only have a crappy internet dongle so downloading programs and stuff can be a hassle. I just found this website where you can convert pdf files etc to kindle friendly formats very handy as i cant download calibre

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
recently got a kindle think its bloomin great. I only have a crappy internet dongle so downloading programs and stuff can be a hassle. I just found this website where you can convert pdf files etc to kindle friendly formats very handy as i cant download calibre

Its less than 50mb, you should be able too. I'll upload the file to skydrive and if you pm an email address you can access and download from there.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dragged and dropped a load of 'survival' PDFs from my desktop onto my android phones memory card, but cannot access them on the memory card from my phone for some reason...:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE