Can Opening without can opener?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I read tins are getting back into fashion.

I remember a TV ad where a man opened a can of meat with the blow of his axe. Works if you have a can with a solid, gelified content and if you open it in one blow (otherwise you might get barbs and splinters of steel :eek: )

Not very good for the axe, I'm affraid

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now they used to cut jade with a "mud saw". A long string was run through a puddle of slip clay and the abrasice particles adhering to the string would act as a grinding agent and cut a neat line. I see no reason why this wouldn't work on metal

I'm looking forward to the write up (by someone else :))

Red

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
BOD said:
Does anyone have a 'good' method of opening cans without an opener..

Nowadays I seldom carry cans but remember in the past I was sometimes without an opener. Then the solution was to use the bayonet but this really messed up the can and contents.

Anyone know a clever way of opening them?

I always carry a P51 can opener in my rucksack, it's extremely small and lightweight ... But you can also pay some attention whilst shopping: some brands have lids that can be opened with a clip sort of thing (compare with the opening of a beercan), or have small keys (like the tins with corned beef).

A way to open an ordinairy tin that hasn't those fancy gadgets I'm not aware of ... except when I'm allowed to make a mess :D then I just one of the methods as described above :p

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Bod

Just had to try this:

Make a wire tourniquet place it tight under the crimped rim (I used a bean can) and twist away. The result was not very neat but really effective, the top just separated, very little wastage.

To make the tourniquet I took a length of electrical cable removed the insulation and twisted it as you would to make a wire snare.

I’m really pleased with this it could be my only contribution to bushcraft/survival.

Pothunter.

Nov 17, 2006
Gtr Manchester
I just carry a fork spoon and swiss army knife picknicer model, This folder will open almost any food packageing and as part of my eating kit is never left at home. Just an idea.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
The army surplus pocket knives usually have a can opener and it's always useful to have one of these as a spare tucked away in your rucksack..

leon-1

British Red said:
Now they used to cut jade with a "mud saw". A long string was run through a puddle of slip clay and the abrasice particles adhering to the string would act as a grinding agent and cut a neat line. I see no reason why this wouldn't work on metal

I'm looking forward to the write up (by someone else :))

Red

From what I understand it was probably the Chinese that started this method, there are a number of different types of saw, one was twisted bronzen wire stretched between a bent bough of of wood. An abrasive was added to the wire to aid in the cutting.

Another is referred to as a partial rotary mud saw, this was effectivley a bronze disc that span.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've always used either my SAK or a knife but I guess you could use a large stone and something like a tent peg to hammer holes into the lid until you get the contents out. Probably be a bit messy.

Nobody goes camping without a knife though and using one is a pretty easy way to get at the contents.

I found the "survival" style can openers to be pretty awful too. The can opener on a SAK is much more efficient and it's easy to use (even though I'm left-handed).

How about using a cordless angle grinder? :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I just punch a series of holes vertically inside the rim with the point of my knife, its messy but it works, and it doesnt do a thing to the knife that a few minutes on a stone cant fix. I am going to try that torniquet trick though.

Cheers
Nick

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
i got a british army engeneer clasp knife that has a can opener if i took a can tho it would be for light wieght campin so blanket knife flint n steel beans so i can use the can after fold the top part of the can lid in half and make charclothe with it sounds ok for short campin trips

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Woods Wanderer said:
i got a british army engeneer clasp knife that has a can opener if i took a can tho it would be for light wieght campin so blanket knife flint n steel beans so i can use the can after fold the top part of the can lid in half and make charclothe with it sounds ok for short campin trips

Keep hold of that knife theyre brilliant. I have mine from 1972, saw me through 13 years service and is still going strong. They dont issue them any more, the lads have to purchase a leatherman at thier own expense. the best ones have a marlin spike on the back, much more comfortable to use.

Cheers
Nick

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
If you look at the construction of modern tins you will find that the ends are pieces of metal that have been pressed into the cylinder and then the excess material is folded over to create the seal. If you do not have access to modern tools, or prefer not to abuse the steel of your knife, try the following.

Locate a flat rock to use as abrasive and rub the end of the tin vigourously back and forth. Rotate the tin every 15-20 strokes to ensure even abrasion of the rim. You will soon notice a gap appearing between the cap and the cylinder wall. As this widens you will be able to insert a twig, flat rock, finger, or knife blade to gently pry the cap free. With this method, assuming moderate strength and access to a reasonable abrasive surface, you should gain access to the contents in 1-2 minutes.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Jusd did a little trial with a can of green beans and a 3 inch cheap kitchen paring knife.

Place can upright on flat surface and against something solid.
Place tip of knife horizontally up against join of top of can and lightly tap handle with palm, pierces surprisingly easily. ( Sidewall seems much thinnner than top )
Push knife into slot and wiggle around a bit, made a slit about an inch long.
Withdraw knife rotate canabout an inch and repeat.

Whole process took less than a minute and not a drop of brine spilt, knife was still good to cleanly cut a tomatoe afterwards, if this method was used often I suspect it would dull it quite a bit.

I used the upright as a brace as this meant I could keep me out of the way should the knife slip when tapped. More important not to cut oneself than to open a can ;)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
There are some great ideas here, but why not go for the more sporting method?

1) Place un-opened can in fire.
2) Everyone stands in a circle around the fire with their plate in their hands.
3) Wait several minutes.
4) What you catch, you get to eat ! :lmao:

I'll get my coat... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Simon E

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE