Can anyone identify this tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I found these and they have nice straight branches that might be suitable for stick / staff making.

They seem to come up from the ground and split into lots of branches straight away.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Hazel. Amazing Tree. Now you know what it is as you walk about out there they'll start to catch your eye every where you go. Build a mental map of where there is a decent gathering of them... and then you can go back in September/October time and collect some tasty Hazel Nuts too.... a Win Win situation with Hazel.

Palaeolite

Jan 13, 2016
West Berks
People still get hazelnuts? Around here greys take them ALL off before they're even ripe. Gits. They don't know of the cobnuts, mind!

Hazel is a bit of a wonder wood in my opinion, it makes fine firewood but good to work with. Unseasoned it is highly flexible with a fairly high moisture content, so is ideal for hedgelaying, and if you have a bonfire, a hazel fork will last you the whole day, if not longer, as a way to push sticky-outy bits back on top. Seasoned, it has, in my opinion, a nice creamy colour and cuts finely, like cutting modelling foam. Its papery bark doesn't resist burning so even unseasoned can be used early on in a fire. There is a region why thousands of acres of British woodland is hazel coppice, albeit neglected these days.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Got a few of bits to try for size and weight. The shorter one is probably to heavy for a short stick and the longer one to heavy for a longer staff. So I will probably cut the
longer one down to be a short stick and use the middle one as more of a staff.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I also noticed 2 other nice straight growing trees near the Hazel. Sorry the close ups up clearer, any ideas on what they are ?

1st one

2nd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE