Can anyone identify these?

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hi guys,
I was visiting family in Lancashire this weekend and spent a lovely Sunday morning at the Mere Sands Nature Reserve.
While walking around the reserve I noticed a large beech tree had a huge number of small ball-like growths in its uppermost branches.
You can see the shape of them in the picture but sadly I couldn't get a closer look at them as I only had my cameraphone on me.
I asked in the reserve HQ but the lady didn't have any suggestions.
I thought they might be galls, but I don't know for sure, so can anyone offer any suggestions?

imag0203le.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Cheers,
Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sometimes see them to that extent on Willows but never beech. Keep ay eye out for fallen limbs and keep your saw handy ;)

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hi red devil

It's not an Elm is it?

I'm quite new at this nature game so I'm not 100% sure, but the ground was littered with the hairy shells of beech mast - thousands of them - and I'm fairly sure the dead leaves lying around were beech leaves. And I had my Trees guidebook with me to double check everything. What were you thinking?

Callum

Aug 21, 2010
Scotland
Hi Red Devil

I was just thinking that elms are very susceptable to these type of galls or burrs and since you're in Scotland you are still likely to encounter mature specimens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE