camping with hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
i have the DD and its absolutely great, i havent slept in it without a tarp but will definitelly try it out as soon as the weather perks up a bit
leon

I have just purchased the one with the midge net cover a must if your going to wild camp in Scotland I have not used it as yet but look forward to trying it out from what ive read it is far more comfortable than sleeping in a tent

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
isn't their much condensation when having the thermarest or windscreen inside of the sleeping bag? I never tried, but I also got quite wet when sleeping on a blanket with a alumium reflective mat under it..

I'm now looking into getting a hammock the same style as I slept in 3 months on a ship voyage.. It was a lot like on this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HammockNavyAndArmyIllustrated.jpg
But we pulled the hammocks more tight to make near horizontal sleeping, and the sides of the hammock came up. Making you a bit sandwiched in the hammock, but it is far easier with this design to put a large sleeping bag (caravan rectangular style) like I have around the hammock so insulating under and over. I just put a piece of clothing at my feet and on my chest to block wind when I did this with the KK group buy hammock.. It was not so great because its impossible to pull the hammock tight and so hammock is difficult to cocoon in the sleeping bag. That's why I want to make or get a hammock like I used on the schoolship. This would be the cheapest and lightest way.. not needing the underblanket (I bought it and find it good, but many find it too expensive and so I try to find another way), nor any other foam mat or thermarest, just a sleeping bag, hammock and tarp. But wouldn't be as comfortable as the bcuk groupbuy hammock system, which is made for kings :)

edit: this is a picture from the trip: http://www.skoleskibet-danmark.dk/picsPHP/Togt90/181_Soegang_i_3_Skifte.php#tiltop
great hammocking :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have been using a 3/4 length thermarest in mine since i got it last year, it's been fine, only time i've felt the cold (and im a pretty cold sleeper) is because i've decided to save a few grams and gambled on my 1 season bag when something warmer probably would have been a better bet. Maybe 3 feathers per baffle isn't enough:lmao:
For my Norway trip in the autumn i'll be trying a reindeer hide me think's, maybe take the t-rest aswell :togo:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Gunnix,
I've slept a few nights last december in a hammock with my own homemade pod to keep things warm. It is very bulky to carry around, but there are plenty of things you can do to reduce the bulk if the weather is not too bad. In refering to imrisk.com, there is a "Garlington Insulator" - basically a bag around the bottom of the hammock which can be filled with air-bags/leaves etc - http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIoriginal.htm
To Feather-down filled insulators - http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm
... and for the worst weather, "Travel-pods" -http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm
I'm sure there must be a way to use an regular sleeping bag as an underblanket and use clothing as top insulation - I haven't tried yet but its on my list of things to do when I get some free time.

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS, a quick photo of the Ogripod - homemade, chceap just not too compact for carrying
PodProject008.jpg

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi Ogri the trog,

thanks for the links! have been looking at imrisks site earlier too, interesting.

Your ogripod looks warm n cozy! :)

I meant to to use a rectangular sleeping all around me, I've got a sleeping bag which has 2 zippers so I open it at the feet side and put the hammock through the whole. So then I get in the hammock and close the sleeping bag. But with the groupbuy hammock being quite wide and because I have to lie in it diagionally to be comfortable it leaves a too big opening at the feet and chest. So I thought of making or buying if I find it the same hammock design as used on the danish schoolship Danmark.. but then in lighter material because those were made from old sails, very strong material but quite heavy.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
HI Gunnix,
I know what oyu mean about the two zip sleeping bags, I have one also. On paper it is big enough to fit around me, and I tried to do the same, around a hammock, I had a draughty cold tube which did not stay warm. My idea is to use the same sleeping bag, supported in a net or paracord mesh - to hold the bag on its diagonal underneath me on the outside of the hammock - it would be long enough to be warm at head and feet, the "side" corners could fold over to keep torso warm, and clothing would cover feet and chest if needed.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
That's another interesting idea Ogri. I think I understould what you mean with the corners. How would you make the corners stay in place?

I only slept in the hammock with sleeping bag around it in march and in june last year. It wasn't very cold so was comfortable.. but for making it fit more snugly I thought of sewing some loops on the sleeping bag to be able to hold it close to the hammock underneath with some ropes over a ridge line, just like with the underblanket. Then you're still left with quite a lof of air above you, but I thought of making a hammock which would be quite narrow so the sides would only just get above me, making the sleeping bag more closed. And the narrow hammock would be lighter to carry.. Hopefully I won't fallout though ;)
I'm sure someone must have tried out already..

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Gunnix,
I don't know how the corners would stay in place yet - I haven't tried it out. I'm guessing either folded underneath you or some kind of tab as you mentioned. I slept in the Ogripod in December and Febuary with no real ill effects and the dead air space above me was OK, though remember it is all sealed apart from a vent hole above my face.If your hammock is narrow, a slim over-blanket should be warm enough also, but I know the American Hammock-Camping websites do say that there is a minimum width of around 40 - 45 inches to eliminate fall out!

Let me know how you get on with any trials.

ATB

Ogri the trog

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
heh, for all the hammock packing i've done, never thought about putting the sleeping bag on the outside of the hammock!.. Great idea!.. will start sewing up a few holes in an old bag and see what we can come up with...

edispilff

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
i've just started hammocking and fallen in love with it! Mine was only cheap but has two layers - i put a Karrimat inbetween - and have been using an old groundsheet for a tarp. I now have a basha and will be using it this weekend for the first time - can't wait! I was woken the other weekend by a bird landing on my head!:lmao:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Put my hammock up for the 1st time Tuesday and when I unrolled it it had 4 cords can anyone enlighten me as what is the best thing to do ..do I tie them together at each end making a double cord or use them singley I was'nt quite sure.:confused:

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
goto http://www.ddhammocks.com/ to see how they suggest tying a double end hammock (one that usually has a single strap/cord threaded through a tube sewn at the ends of the hammock...

like in this picture:
campinghammock1.JPG

It's safe to say, that you wrap each strap around the tree, and then bring them back into a knot on the side which the hammock hangs..

good luck!

edispilff

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi Gunnix,
I've slept a few nights last december in a hammock with my own homemade pod to keep things warm. It is very bulky to carry around, but there are plenty of things you can do to reduce the bulk if the weather is not too bad. In refering to imrisk.com, there is a "Garlington Insulator" - basically a bag around the bottom of the hammock which can be filled with air-bags/leaves etc - http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington Insulator/GIoriginal.htm
To Feather-down filled insulators - ATB That photo looks weird or is it just me I may stop taking drugs:sulkoff:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
isn't their much condensation when having the thermarest or windscreen inside of the sleeping bag? I never tried, but I also got quite wet when sleeping on a blanket with a alumium reflective mat under it..

The windscreen sheet between the two layers of the dd hammock works. Then sleep on top of the layers, in the mozzy net bit, inside a sleeping bag and gore tex bivvy bag. I was in it on friday nite with no windscreen or therma rest and it was fine, 3 degs at midnite.

The others at that meet all had MK hammocks and underblankets. I think I'll get an MK hammock, it looked bigger than mine.

The DD tarps are poor quality with no reinforcing at the corners and only four guys.
MK had tatonkas and they were very good.

Nick

MK Grp Buy Hammock and Underblanket
515745338_2462677571_m.jpg

Tatonka Tarps
515745312_c45b89b1fb_m.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
That photo looks weird or is it just me I may stop taking drugs:sulkoff:

Hey Woodstock,
Have a read of the4 original thread here, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17722&highlight=ogripod

I have heard that the DD hammocks are on the small side, but my GB/MK is great. I also used Webtex/military tarps for a while but having bought a 3m X 4m Tatonka, I don't think I'll be going back unless its a midsummer camp with a certainty of no rain.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have just joined the club.. in fact I have just joined two club!!! I have ordered a DD travel hammock & tarp and SWMBO does not know :eek: I'll be sitting on the naughty step at some stage soon!

I am looking forward to try it soon:D . the hammock, not the naughty step.....

I heard some reasonably good comments on the hammock here, so took the plunge!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
you wont be dissapointed with your DD :D me and a mate hope to get a few days hammock camping this half term :D
leon

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Does hammocking harm the trees to which the ropes are attached? I'm imagining the
bark being rubbed off a bit, especially if it was supporting my weight which is not teeny :eek:

This morning I tied an Evenk knot around the back of one of my chairs, having learned
how to do this from the Outdoor Idiots website:
http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp4.asp
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3DMj-zJu8

Can't do the other one to save my life though. Bit of a spatial awareness problem I think!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE