camping with hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

eddie brann

Do you wild camp with a hammock or do you use a tarp if a hammock which one

E

eddie brann

your dd hammock did you get it directly from dd hammocks?

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
DD Hammocks do a Good deal if you buy a Tarp and Hammock together and in this climate I would take both unless it is a more or less guaranteed good dry spell. I got mine there just over the Christmas period and have only tried them out on a day trip to the woods in February when it was quite windy and cold. It was surprising how warm and sheltered it was in the hammock. I went for the Travel Model which is a bit dearer but gives you the option of a double base with only a midge screen on top or you can be completely enveloped inside. Well made . substantial and plenty of strong tapes.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have the DD and its absolutely great, i havent slept in it without a tarp but will definitelly try it out as soon as the weather perks up a bit
leon

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Hammocks are really good from spring on through early fall. The problem in cold weather is that the hammock compresses the bottom of your bag to a pancake and leaves your backside cold. Have even gone so far as to light a small fire underneath to get some kind of warmth (those cold dewey rat infested island mornings)

I have 2 hammocks, a brazilian an a mexican, Both are meant to be slept in at an angle. This makes it hard to stake out a tarp over the top during wet weather. So, to compensate, we pitch the hammock as tight and high as possible. and strap the tops together with velcro straps. this way you can rotate around and not fall out.. and the hammock stays pretty level.

Hammock the summer and you'll learn new ways of pitching and using the hammock (even used one to catch nile perch!)

edispilff

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
edispilff said:
The problem in cold weather is that the hammock compresses the bottom of your bag to a pancake and leaves your backside cold. Have even gone so far as to light a small fire underneath to get some kind of warmth (those cold dewey rat infested island mornings)

edispilff
I do believe there is a group buy going on for hammock underblankets.... a darned site safer than lighting a fire under your nethers while you try to sleep :eek:

Ogri the trog

Or Have a butchers at my "Ogripod" project ;)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
A 3/4 thermarest does the trick and I often use just sleep on that using my buffalo bag as a blanket with my feet tucked in.

wild camping - I'd use a bivvy bag anyway as its less conspicious and easier to set up. :)

J

JonM

I just purchased a Hennessey hammock, and it was the best sleep Ive had in the bush in a long time. It was about 0C the night I was out so I agree with crazydave.. some sort of insulation is definitely required between your bag and the hammock. (my bag is rated to -18C) I also had a 3/4 thermarest and any part that was not on the thermarest was cold.

Hammock comes with its own fly and bugscreen, so its quite comfortable... highly recommended,

Jon

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I use a hammock in all weathers. I;ve tried sleeing on the ground but it's not as comfy. I use a tarp if it looks like rain or really cold. As for insulation, I agree that insulation is a must. I've used a reindeer skin, but currently put a thermarest inside the sleeping bag. This stops the thermarest slipping about in the hammock.

Pablo

J

JonM

Pablo said:
... put a thermarest inside the sleeping bag. This stops the thermarest slipping about in the hammock.

Pablo

I was wondering how to avoid that headache.... will have to try that trick next week. Thanks Pablo

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
imrisk website is unique... The first guy that started the ultralite camping was a former NASA engineer gone hippie... He ended starting the company calll "go-lite" they have some very lightweight stuff too.

As for hammock pitching, we pitch at eye-level, and very taut. Getting in your sleeping bag, pulling a hammock edge over your head and holding it in your teeth, then jumping up and pulling the other hammock edge under your butt. requires a formidable vertical leap. All of this while trying to avoid burning the foot of your sleeping bag on your newly lit fire which will keep your tookas warm on the underside.

Traderran, Do you push stock?.. or just the old school cowboy life;)... i used to condition and train polish arabians for endurance (and that's a whole other cup of tea). We'd do 50, 100, 200, 500 1-4 day rides with the full kit setup.. I miss those days, Luckily my mother still has a few of her arabs for a nice weeklong jaunt into the hills!

I'm really enjoying the people on this website!

edispilff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE