camping with hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Does hammocking harm the trees to which the ropes are attached? I'm imagining the
bark being rubbed off a bit, especially if it was supporting my weight which is not teeny :eek:

This morning I tied an Evenk knot around the back of one of my chairs, having learned
how to do this from the Outdoor Idiots website:

Jodie,
Rather than rope, think along the lines of wide tape to support your hammock - it speads any load over a much wider area. Being the wrong side of 120kg myself, I ain't no lightweight either, and I've never seen any damage from my hammock support tapes. Also, instead of trying to remember complicated knots, have a look at the Ed Speer Four Wrap Knot, or the Improved version - they're not really knots at all but once made will not slip.
http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

ATB

Ogri the trog

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
you wont be dissapointed with your DD :D me and a mate hope to get a few days hammock camping this half term :D
leon

I got my DD the other week after seeing yours although I did by the one with mos net cant stay in it for longer than about 20mins start to feel myself drifting off its the gentle rocking lol. I've already got another 2 people who said they hated the idea to have a go on mine since then I have converted them.

Mwuha ha ha

Have a good time

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
im hammocking tonight with a mate, we are having a small fire and cooking on it, shoosh about that though lol
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Blimey I hope you don't get flooded out Leon! It's raining so much here in London I
fear the clouds might suffer dehydration ;)

you guessed it we got drenched, the rain went through the ropes and eventually drenched the whole hammock
lesson learnt - attach drip tapes
leon

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Did you actually stay all night in this rain?:eek: You are brave... or foolish, I don't know which:You_Rock_ Better prepare myself some drip tapes as well, I don't like my bed getting wet!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
My DDhammock is fine but the grp buys look better. The DD tarps have no reinforcing at the eyes so pick a sheltered spot if it's windy. A 3x4 or 4x4 tarp is better as you can stand about and stay dry and have plenty of room for kit and a fire etc.

Nick

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I did another video about setting up a DD hammock. The hammock knots I've used have worked (as proved this weekend) through the worst wind and rain.

I've just come back from the spring bushmot. I took the group buy hammock to try it out and to be honest, I didn't get on with it. It was just too big for me. It's very deep and very large. I was swamped!. I actually went back to using the DD. But of course it's horses for courses. I've just left the tapes supplied with the DD as they are and threaded a karribiner through the end of the hammock to act as a drip rings. The supplied tapes are fine and the eyes are plenty strong enough. As for weather...well I'm still thawing out!!

Pablo

By the way, you must get at least a 3x3 tarp with the group buy (if not bigger) otherwise you won't cover its length (unless you tie the tarp diagonally). For more than an overnighter, you should think about a 3x3 at any rate. Gives you a bit more room.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The supplied tapes are fine and the eyes are plenty strong enough. As for weather...well I'm still thawing out!!

I used my DD tarp in two seperate ocaisions with Force 4-5 gusts and three eyes have ripped. They need a triangle of material and nylon web section added for strength. It also leaks thru the side panel that has a seam.

I'm 6ft and 15 stone and fnd the hammock perfect. Especially the mozzy net for midgies.

Nick

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I used my DD tarp in two seperate ocaisions with Force 4-5 gusts and three eyes have ripped.
Nick

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realise you were talking about the DD Tarp. I agree, they're c**p. I gave mine away and bought the Tatonka. DD hammocks are fine IMHO.

Thanks for posting your vids Pablo - they're very good. I didn't realise before that it
was you :)

Thanks Jodie. I'm not an expert, just trying to show people what I do...mistakes an' all!

Pablo

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
Used my hammock and basha this weekend in the pouring rain - my only problem was the noise of the rain - snug as a bug otherwise! I'm away again in 2 weeks camping in an open field. No trees! So i'm taking 4 ash poles and lots of rope with me and rigging my hammock off them. Should be interesting:eek:

Gailainne

Life Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3DMj-zJu8

Can't do the other one to save my life though. Bit of a spatial awareness problem I think!

I can see why Jodie, the twiddly bit is masked by the guys hand, pity it looks like it could be useful.

Pablo is that your video ? if so any chance of telling me what the knot is called ? I tried slippery hitch, but got some weird and wonderful knots, I use a knot Wayland showed me a kinda half prussic, works well, but always interested in learning

Cheers

Stephen

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Stephen,

The first is the evenk and the second is a slippery hitch. The video could have been clearer. :( but I did try it from two angles. Difficult to do if you're filming on your own.

Pablo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE