camping tripod

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
was considering making a campfire tripod using 12mm rebar, heated and hammered to form eyes and then welding a ring of 8mm through the three eyes. does anybody have an alternative as i would ideally like to disassemble it fully?

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi mate , you can use road pins (the ones with the spike and hook),put them together,wrap some chain around the top and leave enough chain dangling through to put a hook on for your pot . Cheers

Daz

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you want to take it to bits after, instead of using a ring, just use a carabiner. 12mm material is massive though... you hanging a car engine from it?

I made one a while back from 7mm stainless and it was still overkill... I have the photos somewhere.

attachment.php

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
rebar is cheap, and i generally camp and practise skills with my girlfriend (clumsy) , my two little girls(deranged) and two border terriers (seriously not right in the head) running loose. 12mm in consideration is possibly a bit delicate!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I make mine from 12mm square bar.Anything less seems a bit flimsy tbh.Mine have been tried and tested with a variety of stuff hanging from them like full 20l dutch ovens ect..
Go for it and you have the added advantage of the fact rebar looks kinda groovy!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
remember with rebar it can be made from anything and often has weak spots. I remember a thread where someone was cutting some and found ball bearings in it (very hard but make a weak spot as the metals thin around the ball). I use 12 or 16mm round and square for the 5 foot ones I sell, for the same reasons as launditch1 (coming to Norwich on the 19th Feb Nige?)

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
thought i'd let you know that the tripod got done today. changed the design to a rams horn so the 3 bars interlock and disassemble.
started off trying to cold form the rebar around a section of scaffold bar bit of a failure there as the scaffold slipped and tw**ed me on the top of me head, now have a 2 inch split in my noggin!
so out came the oxyacetelyne - easy peasy.
also made a trivet using the same forming method - 2 triangles, one within another with 3 L shaped legs welded together.
all for a tenner, and a touch of concussion :stretcher:

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I've made a couple out of those metal posts they use on building site to support tmporary plastic fences. Cheap as chips and easily formed using a propane torch, hammer and scaffolding pole.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE