camping sucks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"camping sucks"

pretty much, that's why I prefer to just go out early in the morning and spend most of the day out enjoying the fun and quiet, then come home to a hot bath, few beers and my massive comfy bed. :)

I don't think I've ever had a comfy night out, always cold, terrible weather and too many night terrors from the sounds of those badgers!

For many people this is a very valid philosophy. Not everyone is comfortable sleeping outdoors. So be it; and that isn't the be-all and end-all of bushcraft.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Jeans are a terrible terrible choice for anything other than a low level activity.
Through in changeable weather conditions and they're even worse.

Anyone that says otherwise has absolutely no experience in mid to high level activity and/or modern fabrics.

Not only do they take hours to dry, the seams on the inside of the legs will rub your flesh off, they'll also stretch and hand down, they weight an absolute ton when wetted out and they'll be hot in summer and drain heat away when wet in winter.

I ended up hiking in my boxer shorts on a cold February hike many years ago, as they were warmer and more comfortable than the jeans i foolishly went out in.

As has been said, buy as good a mat as you can afford and leave the jeans for the pub.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Jeans are a terrible terrible choice for anything other than a low level activity.

Anyone that says otherwise has absolutely no experience in mid to high level activity...

Does logging count as a high level activity? I mean real logging (cutting and haulng trailer truck loads of sawlogs from the hills and swamps to the timber mill; NOT just cutting firewood.

Or what about hiking up and down the Rockies and the Humbolt Moutains (up to 12,000 ft.) in both Summer and Winter?

Or the Mohave Desert?

Herding, roping (or sometimes bulldogging), and branding, cattle for 12+ hours a day?

Loading 85 pound hay bales for 12+ hours a day?

What about fighting brushfires in the deep Summer?

Shall I go on?

But perhaps as HillBill said, you simply don't get good jeans there; there's a vast diference between fashion jeans and real work jeans. The plain truth is I don't wear anything special for bushcrafting or outdoor activities (other than the occassional camo, which might well be camo-ed jeans) I just wear the same clothing I wear all the time (work, play, or casual dress) That is, apart from the time I was required to wear a uniform; and those were a jeanlike material (except for the corrections BDUs which were a very unsuitable, thin, soft cotton)

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Does logging count as a high level activity? I mean real logging (cutting and haulng trailer truck loads of sawlogs from the hills and swamps to the timber mill; NOT just cutting firewood.

Or what about hiking up and down the Rockies and the Humbolt Moutains in both Summer and Winter?

Or the Mohave Desert?

What about fighting brushfires in the deep Summer?

Shall I go on?

Impossible, you could only have done that in offical ray mears endorsed bushcraft trousers! ;)

I've only got jeans.. and shorts.. what are the pricey ones made of?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Impossible, you could only have done that in offical ray mears endorsed bushcraft trousers! ;)

I've only got jeans.. and shorts.. what are the pricey ones made of?

LOL. The pricey ones are made of denim, albeit thinner, or sometimes a strech denim. It's not the material that makes them pricier, it's the fashion, brand labels. And those ARE NOT suitable for outdoor activities or work.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah, well my jeans are stretchy ones 'cause I'm a beefcake, but they do fine. I do overheat but it's better than jogging bottoms!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm pretty hefty too; 250 pounds now (and that's down by 15 pounds from my heaviest) I wear the work jeans in "relaxed" cut though. They're pretty baggy where it counts. TBH the extra room also helps in temperature regulation; it allows air circulation in hot weather and has room for a layer of long johns underneath in cold weather. Besides, that's the way all jeans were cut before they became a fashion item.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah, that's waht i wear if I do stay out or shoot over night, long johns under my jeans and hoody. I do have a one piece thermal long john (onesie) but it's a bit difficult when i need to.. you know, as it has no but flap haha!

I guess my coldness is due to poor insulation under my body, especially when hammocking! I wear plenty of clothes but still end up cold due to lack of fore thought regarding essential ground insulation. I haven't bothered staying out in ages though so even though I now know how to stay warm I won't be doing so for a while. I also will never buy those fancy clothes that are so popular, as I know there are more imprtant factors to comfort!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think a lot of people just have diferent tolerences for heat or cold. I grew up in the deep South (Southern Mississippi) and was stationed in hot climates all but the 4 years I spent in England; but generally I really prefer colder climates (might be different if I shed some more weight) The big saving graces for Florida, to me, is the proximatey to the beach, and family. There's also an abundance of wild land here but then again that would be true in the mountains or desert as well.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think the biggest issue with choices in clothes and gear here is it all needs to be ready to get rained on and take the regular heavy windchill. Our clothes won't likely dry out after rain, as it just satys wet and cloudy for months on end. I understand why people buy into the expensive clothes that claim to offer all sorts of protection from our crap weather but i'm happy to get a bit soggy and cold as i know i have no desire to sleep in it.

I also would rather wear goretex or other full waterproof gear too and can't see any reason to wear a cotton smock or wool stuff.. it isn't waterproof and it's really heavy. My attitude to camping now is either do it right or have a crap night! doing it right costs money I don't have, so i stay within my limits of comfort ;)

Aug 4, 2012
Louisiana, USA
Several years ago I broke my back however I had an excellent neuro surgeon and he fixed me right as rain except I no longer could sleep on the ground without waking to numb legs and very bad pain. I looked around for a while and decided to try a hennessy Hammock out. Long story short I now have 3 of them and have never slept better. You lay flat in a Hennessy so you can sleep in your side, back belly or if your scared, in the fetal position ;) If you are in a place where the nights get chilly you will need an under quilt of some sort to insulate you from the wind. If you placed a sleeping bag between you and the hammock you would crush it and it would not be able to insulate you.

Dont give up yet and good luck!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think the biggest issue with choices in clothes and gear here is it all needs to be ready to get rained on and take the regular heavy windchill. Our clothes won't likely dry out after rain, as it just satys wet and cloudy for months on end. I understand why people buy into the expensive clothes that claim to offer all sorts of protection from our crap weather but i'm happy to get a bit soggy and cold as i know i have no desire to sleep in it.

I also would rather wear goretex or other full waterproof gear too and can't see any reason to wear a cotton smock or wool stuff.. it isn't waterproof and it's really heavy. My attitude to camping now is either do it right or have a crap night! doing it right costs money I don't have, so i stay within my limits of comfort ;)

That was part of my point a few posts upstream, I really never experienced any extreme weather while in the UK (a 4 year period) It got cold and damp, but not overly so. I really wish you could see a proper thunderstorm with 50 MPH gusts and rain coming in buckets. Without being here (or somewhere else like) to see the heavy rains, it's impossible to compare. And I mean rains heavy enough to beat crops down and kill them from the weight of it falling. Last month Pensacola got over 18 inches of such rain in just a bit over an hour and humidity is usually around 95% year round.

All that aside, the advantage of wool isn't that it's waterproof; rather that it retains most of it's insulating qualities even when wet. As a hunter add that it is one of the quietest materials in the woods. Weight is a downside (as it can be with denim) if you're not into heavy clothing. And wool tends to snag on brush (at least the wool most outdoor clothing is made from) And as you say, good wool is expensive. I do like it as an base or mid layer though; it doesn't get a chance to snag if under an outer layer and in that function it can last long enough to be worth the cost. Some of my Pendleton shirts are over 15 years old and my Cabela's sweaters (jumpers) are over 8 years old.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Anyone that says otherwise has absolutely no experience in mid to high level activity and/or modern fabrics.

Not only do they take hours to dry, the seams on the inside of the legs will rub your flesh off, they'll also stretch and hand down, they weight an absolute ton when wetted out and they'll be hot in summer and drain heat away when wet in winter.

I ended up hiking in my boxer shorts on a cold February hike many years ago, as they were warmer and more comfortable than the jeans i foolishly went out in.

As has been said, buy as good a mat as you can afford and leave the jeans for the pub.

"Jeans are a terrible terrible choice for anything other than a low level activity." Why are they worse than anyother cotton trousers, they are heavier for sure and take longer to dry perhaps...don't get them wet.

"Anyone that says otherwise has absolutely no experience in mid to high level activity and/or modern fabrics"
Utter tosh :lmao:, I would imagine that many thousands of hikers in drier climates happily walk/hike/climb in a pair of jeans at all levels of activity...don't get them wet.

"Not only do they take hours to dry, the seams on the inside of the legs will rub your flesh off, they'll also stretch and hand down, they weight an absolute ton when wetted out and they'll be hot in summer and drain heat away when wet in winter."
Don't get them wet

"Not only do they take hours to dry, the seams on the inside of the legs will rub your flesh off, they'll also stretch and hand down, they weight an absolute ton when wetted out and they'll be hot in summer and drain heat away when wet in winter.

"I ended up hiking in my boxer shorts on a cold February hike many years ago, as they were warmer and more comfortable than the jeans i foolishly went out in."

Buy a pair that fit properly and don't get them wet.

I for one believe in base layers and waterproof shell clothing. My favorite trousers are my old M65's, they are not much lighter than a pair of jeans and a bitch to dry so I rely on my waterproofs to stop them getting wet, and I'd do the same with jeans. Whenever jeans are mentioned people go on about them being awful when they get wet, how many of you walk around in wet trousers? If they do then ""they have absolutely no experience in mid to high level activity and/or modern fabrics" or anyother outdoor activity where only an idiot walks around wet, there is no need for that regardless of trouser choice.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Ah, that's waht i wear if I do stay out or shoot over night, long johns under my jeans and hoody...

:eek: Dude, did you know that denim is a badgers favourite food? If you go around wearing denim jeans near a badgers' set; they'll 'ave yer leg off!

Last edited:

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk ;)

I keep posting this link, one day some one will actually click on it and use them. Very very good service, kit is always in great condition and even the very occasional actually grade 2 item is still perfectly good.

Andy

i cant believe it found a stuff sack for my artic bag on there straight away.them prices are amazing thank you for the link and sorry to hijack the thread

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I found this whole discussion of interest from a different perspective.... I do enjoy being prepared for a trip into the wilds most comfortable with mainly the correct equipment from mats to bags to clothing. However, I also like to go out in a much less prepared state. Why? Well part of my reasoning for being a bushcrafter is... 'to be prepared'. What do we usually wear out and about town, on a cross country journey by train, car, plane etc... I bet not all the clobber we like to take for a planned camp. What if it all goes t¤ts up? I know.... In the UK you're most likely to be close to help anyway, but that's my point... What if help does 't come, you're stuck in your jeans, trainers/boots a t-shirt and fleece. I always have my fire-steel in my pocket but very little else. I keep a positive mental attitude first and then get to work... Make a shelter by hand using what I find to complete the task. Fire is not usually a problem, but apart from a half litre of walter in a plastic bottle I will stay the night or possibly two using what I have. You need to condition yourself to the environment. Don't be stupid about it.... Like putting yourself in unnecessary danger. We have all got different skill levels... Work to them. Going back to kit, you don't have to have the best to have fun in our hobby of bushcrafting. You don't need to 'follow' the crowd in combat gear or the world of name labels.... If you know how to 'craft' and 'survive' you can do it in the kit you have around you at home already.

Now I know this will have opened a vast can of worms.... But this is my own personal point of view. I hope it continues to create a much wider and continued discussion on kit and personal preferences. Moderators, If I have taken this a bit to far off topic, please move to a new thread or discussion with a new title... Absolutely no offence taken.... Just trying to enhance the discussion. :D

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lolololol....sorry but i've just got a bizarre image of you flappin around screamin in the dark having your skin flailed off in a pile of aroused badger genitals and claws!

omg!

image the headline....''man found bled to death, tangled in his own hammock in the woods....autopsy reveals that he also suffered from severe toxic shock as large amounts of badger semen (am i allowed to say that?) had entered his system through multiple contusions.....''

a
it's not the snuffling that bothers me! it's the shreiking and sounds of war under my hammock that brings me to tears! all it would take is one stray claw to release me from ym cacoon and I'd be dropped right on top of their sex/battle!

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
That was part of my point a few posts upstream, I really never experienced any extreme weather while in the UK (a 4 year period) It got cold and damp, but not overly so. I really wish you could see a proper thunderstorm with 50 MPH gusts and rain coming in buckets. Without being here (or somewhere else like) to see the heavy rains, it's impossible to compare.

Ahahahahahaha! If we waited for the wind to die down to that level here, we'd never get out of the house some weeks.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/eh.php?fdate=111003

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....not even fire will deter them and they genuinely try to raid our camp from all angles! I kid you not they fight litterally 4 feet from our tent/hammocks! even with me shouting at them to go away!......

that's just badgers in general mate, they've got every reason to be fearless, since we finished the wolves off there's nothing out there that can hurt them really. a lot of the reason that they come wandering through your camp at night is the simple fact that they haven't noticed that you're there and/or they're not scared of you. i've been woken up on numerous occasions by the sound of badgers rustling up against the side of my tarp, munching on bluebells (damn noisy), or (one on lovely occasion) filling one of my boots with badger snot whilst stealing a sock. there are two approaches that work for me, one; i simply stay where i am and listen to/watch brock going about his nightly business and thank all that i hold holy for providing me with such a wonderful opportunity to commune with nature, or two; i swear very loudly until the damn noisy snuffling overgrown weasel buggers off and lets me get back to my sleep. the first option tends to work much better, brock just crunches his bluebells a bit louder when you try the second one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE