camping sucks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Most of the jeans you can buy these days over here are either not denim or so thin as to tear if snagged. Have a look at the craghoppers gear. I'm on my second pair in 5 years, and i wear them a lot. Never wore more comfortable pants tbh. More pockets than you can shake a stick at, and they have never torn. Only issue i have had is the stitching pull apart in a small area when caught on barbed wire. The material held well enough though. Only on my second pair because my waistline went up a size. Its back down now and i'm wearing the old pair again. :)

Never tried "solar dry" or heard of it until now. That said, I've never been uncomfortable in denim. And I doubt any of the so called "quick drying" materials are anywhere near as abrasion resistant as denim. That matters to me when hiking through brambles; for that matter, denim is the only material (short of very expensivematerials such as kevlar) that is reccomended as a substitute for leather clothing for serious bikers.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of the jeans you can buy these days over here are either not denim or so thin as to tear if snagged. Have a look at the craghoppers gear. I'm on my second pair in 5 years, and i wear them a lot. Never wore more comfortable pants tbh. More pockets than you can shake a stick at, and they have never torn. Only issue i have had is the stitching pull apart in a small area when caught on barbed wire. The material held well enough though. Only on my second pair because my waistline went up a size. Its back down now and i'm wearing the old pair again. :)

LOL. My jeans are mostly either Dickies or Wranglers and they're still pretty thick. Back in the day when i wore Levis, they had a warranty and would replace any pair that ripped a sewn seam; EVER! That said, I've never had a seam rip on the dickies or Wranglers.

I keep about 4 pair at any given time. I wear a pair of them all day, every day (work, or other outdoor uses as well as casual dress) and they usually last me about 2 years; switching to shorts for the some of the Summer (jeans shorts of course) I do sometimes decry the lack of pockets but not often. If it were a problem though, Dickies and wrangle both offer cargo jeans with essentially the same pocket lay-out as BDUs.

I'll have a look at the craghoppers later but I've never seen them over here and I don't want to order pants online. Also not sure (until I look) how the cost will compare; I can get good Dickies or Wranglers jeans for less than $22 (about 15 quid) each

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
+1 for the Solar Dry, good stuff. Nothing wrong with wearing jeans, just keep them dry in cold weather; pack waterproof trousers.

To the OP, you need to look at where you will pitch your tent, level as possible, check it for lumps and bumps before you pitch. A tent will give you far better shelter than a tarp, keep the mozzies off you, give you space to sit up, play cards, maybe cook, share with a chum, chat etc. Change your sleep mat or add a cell foam on top.

I don't get on with hammocks, while I can see their worth in the jungle, faffing about with underquilts et al....I can't be asked to be honest.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Being outdoors means being in and out of the water (streams, lakes/ponds, or ocean) every 15-20 minutes where I go now. In the Western snow it meant constantly from the beginning of the hunt until the end. Drying out is simply not an option in those conditions. I remember the 4 years I was stationed in the UK and yes it was "damp" there, but never really and truly "wet." The storms we have are quite diferrent from the showers and light thunder you're used to there.

You are right about us not often experiencing 'serious' rain here and I can also appreciate being wet for prolonged periods in both recreational and occupational pursuits, but it doesn't alter the fact that jeans are less than the optimum in camping legwear in UK.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You are right about us not often experiencing 'serious' rain here and I can also appreciate being wet for prolonged periods in both recreational and occupational pursuits, but it doesn't alter the fact that jeans are less than the optimum in camping legwear in UK.

True enough to a point. But part of my point was that you really don't need "optimum." Over a certain point you begin to get diminishing returns on the investment.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Personally, I'm a bit fed up with pockets - all my trousers have pockets on the legs and they make the trousers heavy and unwieldy - must find some trousers without extra pockets...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk ;)

I keep posting this link, one day some one will actually click on it and use them. Very very good service, kit is always in great condition and even the very occasional actually grade 2 item is still perfectly good.

Andy

Not as often as I have over the years ;) Too cheap for some people maybe who always look for the 'catch' where there is none; great company :)

santaman wrote (snippet)
"True enough to a point. But part of my point was that you really don't need "optimum." Over a certain point you begin to get diminishing returns on the investment."

Thats a very valid point, well said.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I went camping in loch lomond at a campsite for 1 night and it really changed my mind about sleeping in a tent....

I couldn't get comfortable on the ground and the cheap mat I bought gave no comfort at all, also I was wearing clothes to keep me warm a really thick jumper with t shirt underneath and jeans.....I was bloody freezing!

I got 1 hour sleep that night!

Is there any better, more comfortable way to camp like using a hammock and tarp and wearing thermals....what ya think?
I use a thermarest medium price matt, recently i have been using a foam matt under neath the therma as well for more comfort. They weigh next to nothing and can easily be strapped on your ruck sack . As said get a decent sleep bag and get a good large liner too, something in silk is good. I find sleeping in clothing just too uncomfortable.

You can also help yourself by getting in the bag warm, couple of mins of movement to create a bit of body heat . Sleep bags dont create heat they trap the heat from your body.
AlSo try a lightweight hat as well to trap even more heat, lots is lost through your head.

Last edited:

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I was wearing clothes to keep me warm a really thick jumper with t shirt underneath and jeans.....I was bloody freezing!....what ya think?

Many people hold that over-dressing can actually make you colder - effects of condensation - depending on the specific conditions, and type of clothing and bag.

For balance, the Bushcraft scene loves military surplus gear. The conventional backpacking & mountaineering scene really doesn't. Both are subject to aesthetic fashions, both are worth investigating for help with this problem.

Big up the bushcrafty suggestion of stuffing vegetation around the place. Nice!

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Many people hold that over-dressing can actually make you colder - effects of condensation - depending on the specific conditions, and type of clothing and bag.

For balance, the Bushcraft scene loves military surplus gear. The conventional backpacking & mountaineering scene really doesn't. Both are subject to aesthetic fashions, both are worth investigating for help with this problem.

Big up the bushcrafty suggestion of stuffing vegetation around the place. Nice!

The backpacking/mountaineering scene go more for what actually works I think, not quite as influenced by a 'look'. You can indulge in a wool cape etc when padding about in the woods, you can't mess about when your on a serious trip and you could end up dead.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
"camping sucks"

pretty much, that's why I prefer to just go out early in the morning and spend most of the day out enjoying the fun and quiet, then come home to a hot bath, few beers and my massive comfy bed. :)

I don't think I've ever had a comfy night out, always cold, terrible weather and too many night terrors from the sounds of those badgers!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nah, there's nothing like a bit of gentle snuffling from a badger at bedtime in the woods :rolleyes:

it's not the snuffling that bothers me! it's the shreiking and sounds of war under my hammock that brings me to tears! all it would take is one stray claw to release me from ym cacoon and I'd be dropped right on top of their sex/battle!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
the badgers round here are fearless, sex mad warriors! not the cute little ones that make over nighters fun ;)

not even fire will deter them and they genuinely try to raid our camp from all angles! I kid you not they fight litterally 4 feet from our tent/hammocks! even with me shouting at them to go away!

(I'd like to clarify that I do not partake in any innapropriate contact with the aforementioned badgers ;) even if that is what the others are insinuating!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE