camping in garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

tommy11

Hello I'm new here, anyway I was thinking about just setting up tent in my back garden tonight as I am too afraid to go camping alone....

Does anyone else ever do this and I'm wondering if there is any point to it other than getting cold?

T

tommy11

Ofcourse I won't be allowed to make a fire as it's my parents garden...and I don't really have any camping gear except for a cheap tent from Argos..lol

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Since I have healthissues and don't get out much any more I do a lot of "gardencamping". It is a great way to test new stuff, get experience about how much you need or don't need to stay warm and comfy during different types of weather and generally keep or improve your skills and techniques.
Waking up att dawn and listening o the birds is just as good in your garden and should not be frowned upon. Then you get up, go inside and have a shower and breakfast and go to work feeling all good and relaxed!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
did it all the time as a kid - used to get the old man to clear out the shed too to make my very own mountainman cabin :D

T

tommy11

Ok well I've set up camp already, I know it is silly but it's just for a bit fun I suppose.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
nothing silly about it at all mate, garden camping's great. hope you enjoy your night out

stuart

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Have fun, No reason to get cold either. Wont be long before you cant resist going out more.

Bound to be someone near you that would be up for an overnighter with you, Should check out the Meetups for your area.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nowt wrong with camping in the garden, once you're inside the tent you can pretend you're anywhere in the world.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As others have said - it's a good way of getting used to your kit and getting used to sleeping under canvass.
If you don't fancy camping out in the 'wild' on your own, then once you've got used to garden camping have a look at the UK Campsites website and find a campsite near you that allows fires and maybe has a patch of woodland - something more relaxed and not as sterile as a Camping & Caravanning site - then try camping out there for a few nights. It'll be somewhere away from home but still in a protected environment. And steadily you'll get used to it and have the confidence to spend a night alone somewhere less 'controlled'.
Camping in your back garden may not sound as edgy as camping out in the Amazon jungle, but sod it - if you enjoy it and it helps you move on to bigger and better things then that's good enough.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I remember when a camping trip that I was looking forward to had to be cancelled last minute.

So disappointed was I that I just had to pitch my tarp in the back garden and chop some wood up for the hobo stove. Got a fire and a brew going and then had something to eat under the tarp.

I felt much better :)

I'm sure if you ask nicely your Mum and Dad will let you dig a little fire pit somewhere in the garden. Tell them Monty Don says that the potash is the best fertiliser for their plants:)

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Hello I'm new here, anyway I was thinking about just setting up tent in my back garden tonight as I am too afraid to go camping alone....

Does anyone else ever do this and I'm wondering if there is any point to it other than getting cold?

Yep - its fun! Also makes sure you can put the tent up and all the pieces are there! Enjoy.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Even now, in my 50's I camp out in the garden now and again. Its still a great way of trying out new kit before using it for real.
As a child I made and lit what would now be called a hobo stove on my parents lawn, but sat it on a bit of paving slab to protect the grass, then made tea in a syrup tin, with a brake cable for a handle.

There is a tremendous amount you can do, and learn, from camping in the garden.

Go for it.

Graham

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I used to camp out in either my parents garden or friends gardens when i was a kid, Hung a tarp over the washing line. I still do it now with my Youngest 2 they love it.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
absolutely nothing silly matey, how do you get confident in your kit? by using it, if you don't want to hit the hills, or feel it a better plan to why not use it in your garden, I'm 31 and live in married quarters while wifey's away at work during the day i set up all sorts of kit in the garden, from tents to hammocks and tarps, practice different fire lighting skills, carve things and have a pretty good laugh, all my neighbours look at me and the kids like we are from Mars but who cares, get out into the wilds of your patch and play, it's the best way to learn dude!

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I think I get more heeby jeebies from camping in the garden as opposed to anywhere else for some reason :/

Probably cos you hear more. Like "You still playing outside ya nut?" or "Dont forget those dishes in the morning" from SWMBO at 3.30 am shouted thru the frosted toilet window :p

No wonder we run off to the woods.............

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Some of my happiest memories are of being young and camping in my parents' garden. I used to love lying there on a summer's night watching for the meteor showers in August.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE