camping in garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
You don't say which part of Scotland you are in, if it's anywhere down this way you would be welcome to come out on one of our meetups, you'll be well looked after and if your parents are a bit wary as would be expected we could always have a chat with them to alay some of their fears. Plus there is usually some spare kit going for a newbie starting out.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i remember camping oot in the back garden when i was a bairn with my little brother , hearing all the sounds of the city as realbark mentioned with the added carry on of the drunks at hoying oot time as they swayed and fought each other down the back field. And then, as all was still the local flea bags would start up catawailing at 2 in the mourning with some of the littler ones climbing up and over the tent ! lol.
It was quite a nice surprise when i first camped out of toon , the quiet and peace,lol

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
my first ever camping trip i had no gear crappy tent shorts and T shirt, it go to -6 at night time...^^goood times

i i test al my stoves, and gear out the back yard 2night b4 i go camping ^^

---
Skipp

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So many people have already pointed out it's a great way to try out new kit; I'll just add that the dumb thing would to be going anywhere else without testing your kit first. I've said in this forum before and I'll say it now; we do this (bushcraft) because it's fun. The back garden is just as much fun now as it was so long ago when I was a kid. I'm taking my Godson on several backyard trips this Summer and plan on enjoying every one of them. Go for it and have fun. If your parents won't allow a free fire then just use a small BBQ grill and roast some hot dogs on a stick. Make some S'mores and they may join you.

T

tommy11

Cheers Sniper, I'm live nearer Edinburgh but I'll keep that in mind mate.

Well I didn't end up sleeping in the tent at night cause it was too cold for me! :rolleyes:

Better to wait a month or so I think till the better weather eh.

hi this is my first post on this site. camping in your garden is a cool idea like other people have said its a great way of testing kit it will also let you know if you like it if you don't you can go indoors to bed instead of being stuck somewhere until morning and if you enjoy it then i think the other idea of moving on to a camp-site where you can have a fire is also good. In you garden could you not use a bbq as a fire pit .. small steps to build your confidence i found that i loved camping by starting in my parents back garden

absw

Mar 14, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
ab5w.com
I camped out last night to test my new sleeping bag. Cooked my dinner on a fire and looked at the stars, it was excellent. Photos here - http://imgur.com/a/THukQ, (day ones taken this morning as I forgot to take my decent camera out last night, and the parents locked the house up so I couldn't get back inside....). Last picture shows the downside to burning pallets!

(I have to say I used a lighter to ignite the dry grass/weeds I used as tinder though, I tried the firesteel, but it wasn't happening..)

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I camped out last night to test my new sleeping bag. Cooked my dinner on a fire and looked at the stars, it was excellent. Photos here - http://imgur.com/a/THukQ, (day ones taken this morning as I forgot to take my decent camera out last night, and the parents locked the house up so I couldn't get back inside....). Last picture shows the downside to burning pallets!

(I have to say I used a lighter to ignite the dry grass/weeds I used as tinder though, I tried the firesteel, but it wasn't happening..)

Didn't know yer were into ladders, any good? :)

Probably cos you hear more. Like "You still playing outside ya nut?" or "Dont forget those dishes in the morning" from SWMBO at 3.30 am shouted thru the frosted toilet window :p

No wonder we run off to the woods.............

LOL ...... soooo true!

My daughter loves camping in the garden. It gave her confidence in herself .... and in me, that made an easier transition to sleeping out in t' wilds. The first couple of trips were at organised events, so lots of other people around, and not all lonely in a big ol' woodland.
You'll feel better in a place you know, both physically and mentally, then your confidence will grow from there. Better than venturing into the wilds alone, or with a mate or two, then cacking yerself in the middle of the night, and not wanting to 'go-it-alone' ever again!

Luke

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Camping in the garden is a great start. I used to sleep out in the garden for months over the summer when I was a kid so much so that the tent eventually fell apart from the sun beating down on it for so long. Eventually my parents let myself and a friend stay the night at a local campsite from there it gave me the confidence to go on camping holidays. Unfortunately now MUCH older and living in a block of flats with the wife I think my garden camping days are over unless I wanted to get ridiculed by the other residence or local chavs .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE